1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: simple avi to mpg conversion

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by pcguy9441, May 3, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. pcguy9441

pcguy9441 Thread Starter

I'm looking for a quick and dirty, and preferably free util to convert avi to mpg-2. I want to merge/join 2 or more avi's into a single mpg file on disc (no DVDs). I have Nero 9, and can't get "export" do concatenate 2 or more files. I already know how to make a DVD movie with Nero, but that's not what I want. Also have Ulead, and Adobe Premiere Elements, but believe these along with Nero are overkill. I Prefer not to use an obtuse "enthusiast" type tool with a steep learning curve. Have tried AVS4YOU and works great but is $60 for unlimited use. Tried Arcsoft and trial version failed to output a file. Tried Xilsoft and could not get it to join multiple avi's.

Suggestions?.................Thanks.

2. pcguy9441

pcguy9441 Thread Starter

Corection, it's NERO 7 I have, not 9. If someone can tell me how to get Nero 7 to join multiple avi's to an mpg on disc without a big production, that would be great too.....Thanks.

3. Elvandil

Elvandil

Take a look at the free editors: AviDemux, TmpgEnc, VirtualDub (I don't think it concatenates, but maybe), and DVD Free Studio.

I hope I'm not sending you on a wild-goose chase, but all of these will be useful even if they don't solve your immediate problem. The avi's can probably be concatenated, but because of the way they are structured, they won't just play that way like mpg's do. You'll need to strip the index and make a new one. The tools above should do that, but DivFix is another free tool that will.

4. pcguy9441

pcguy9441 Thread Starter

Thanks, I'll check them out and report back.

5. Elvandil

Elvandil

I've heard good things about Super, too.

6. pcguy9441

pcguy9441 Thread Starter

OK, Super does the job nicely, but it's a "geek" app. i.e., very non intuitive for a casual user non-geek pc type who's not well versed in video/audio formats. I figured it out in 10 min, and it took a while to find how to specify desired destination for output files, and how to join files, but it appears to works well on a simple test case of 2 avi's , but no way will I be able to explain the user interface to my friend who needs this. "Direct show decode" to indirectly specify where output file goes? Come-on. I guess you can't be picky if it's free, but it takes little if any additional effort to make a user friendly interface.

Thanks the info and I'll probably use this for my own needs.

7. fairnooks

fairnooks Banned

I don't suppose you have the Nero Vision component of Nero 7? Probably wouldn't be asking the question if you did, but if it is there, its just drag and drop the video segments onto a timeline and then output it as an MPEG-2 file, a very simplistic version of the Ulead and Premiere Elements programs; all of which its true, can be looked at as overkill for a simple appending operation, but it also must be said that it's one of the things they do very well.

Or is Nero Vision the program that won't export correctly? If so it may be having a tough time with the codec used in the avi files.

If the resulting files were under a gig or you could live with one-gig segments, any DVD authoring program could be used to make 1gig vob files which you could then rename to mpg.

8. pcguy9441

pcguy9441 Thread Starter

OK, got it working now. Operator error. Nerovision opens to several different interfaces depending on how you get into it (i.e., "make a DVD" vs. "make a movie".) In one mode, "export" only outputs last one if they are all selected since there is no timeline to drag them to in the particular display.

thanks...

9. Elvandil

Elvandil

You can mark your own threads "solved" using the button above.

10. pcguy9441

pcguy9441 Thread Starter

OK, I was a little harsh in my critique of Super. It is in fact an excellent app all around. It does a great job of concatenating input files (avi's in my case) and allowing you to sequence them as desired. Only complaint is you can not do a bulk cut/paste of input file names and retain original sequence, but rather have to drag or paste each file one at a time in to a window. You can do a bulk cut/paste, but files land in an odd sequence I can not decipher. I have files numbering in the 30 range, so this gets a little tedious. Otherwise, I highly recommend it for converting one format to another.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/824002

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice