1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Simple Excel problem, I'm just overthinking, i'm sure...

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by sirribbit, Jan 21, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. sirribbit

sirribbit Thread Starter

Can someone help me figure out what I'm doing wrong.
    I'm trying to autofill a column with a formula but it doesn't seem to be working right.

I have a column of numbers, cells A1=1, A2=1, A3=1, etc. (so the A column is all 1)
    Then column B is various numbers, say... B1=1, B2=2, B3=3
    These two columns are 20 rows. In cell B21 I have the total of all of column B
    I want to put a formula in column D like =SUM(A1)-B21
    Then I want to autofill the rest of column D with the same formula, changing (A1) with (A2) and so on as the column autofills. The problem I'm having is that it is also changing the B21, which I want to remain B21 for the entire column.

I hope this is a clear explanation of what I'm trying to do. Can someone help me figure this out. If you need more clarity, let me know. Thanks!

2. edhicks

edhicks

Replace B21 with $B$21. You are using relative addressing where you need an absolute address

3. sirribbit

sirribbit Thread Starter

See... I knew someone could help. Thank you.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1037467