1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Simple HTML editor

Discussion in 'Web Design & Development' started by TBaker14, Nov 24, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. TBaker14

TBaker14 Thread Starter

I am looking for a simple-to-use HTML editor. I currently am making HTML emails for marketing, but the built-in one with our online marketing site is not very good.

Can anyone recommend a simple (and free) HTML editor? WYSIWYG

TBaker14

2. colinsp

colinsp

First Name:
    Colin
    Have a look at Microsofts free Visual Web Developer Express.

3. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

I wouldn't call Microsoft's Visual Studio products "simple". That's serious over-kill for HTML editing.

Try Kompozer.
    http://kompozer.net/

4. colinsp

colinsp

First Name:
    Colin
    In my experience Komposer is not true WYSIWYG, it hasn't been updated in years and some of the code it produces is excessively verbose.

The Express product is a lot easier than the full Studio edition BUT no WYSIWYG programme is ideal even the 'Rolls Royce' Dreamweaver frequently gets it wrong.

Concentrate on learning HTML and CSS and use various browsers to view the result. It is the only true way to see what your site will look like.

5. TBaker14

TBaker14 Thread Starter

Thanks guys...I'm not interested in learning HTML and CSS. I don't do any web design, I just need to be able to efficiently edit HTML emails. The built in editor that is provided with our email marketing provider is crappy. I just need to be able to create sometime and then upload it to their site...or copy and paste for that matter.

6. DrDing

DrDing

I like to use Alleycode: http://www.alleycode.com/download.htm

Pretty simple and free. It's got a nice syntax highlighting feature which helps you visually notice if you miss a quote or something.

And if you create a new html document, it puts all the starting tags (html, title, head, body) in for you, which saves some time.

Only downside is, I don't believe it's being updated anymore. But I think for just simple html work that you're looking to do, it's should be fine.

7. TBaker14

TBaker14 Thread Starter

Hey DrDing,

Thanks for the suggestion. I'm looking for something that is WYSIWYG. But the looks of it, this doesn't have that...does it?

TBaker14

8. DrDing

DrDing

No it doesn't sadly.

I took a brief look at DoubleHelix's recommendation (Kompozer), downloaded it, and messed around for a few minutes. It looks like it should do exactly what you're looking for.

9. TBaker14

TBaker14 Thread Starter

Hey DoubleHelix,

How do I install Kompozer...it's in a zip file and I don't see an install file.

TBaker14

10. DrDing

DrDing

I had that thought too when I first downloaded it. Turns out you don't install it. If you extract that file you got from the zip, inside you'll see an application file called "kompozer". Just click on that and it'll open up the program.

11. TBaker14

TBaker14 Thread Starter

Got it...thanks!

12. DrDing

DrDing

No problem! Hope it works out for you.

13. clod

clod

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1028288

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice