1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Simple question

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by johnpaul, Apr 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. johnpaul

johnpaul Thread Starter

I have Windows 7 Starter version on a netbook I recently bought. I'm familiar with XP and Vista, but I can't figure out how to do a very simple thing - to move up one level of folders.

Let's say I have a folder on my hard drive called "Music," and inside that folder are folders called "Rock" and "Classical," both of which have shortcuts on the Desktop. If I click on the shortcut for Rock I can see the songs. Then, if I decide I also want to look at the Classical folder, how do I get there? I can't hit the Back button because I haven't been there yet. In XP, a drop-down window gave me access to all drives and folders. With Vista, the area to the left of the folder's contents showed me the drives and folders.If I want to move up to the contents of the Music folder, how do I get there?

I have the feeling that I'll be embarrassed by the simplicity of the answer, but it's bugging me.

JP

2. DVOM

DVOM

With any folder open, go to the "Organize" button at the top left, then to the "Layout" option, and put a check in "Navigation pane". That'll get you the folder tree like in Vista.

3. johnpaul

johnpaul Thread Starter

That sounds simple enough, DVOM, but the tree shown doesn't look like Vista.

JP

Attached Files:

4. johnpaul

johnpaul Thread Starter

After a little exploration, I figured it out and yes, I'm embarrassed. Thanks DVOM.

JP

5. philippus

philippus

I missed the old "up" button myself though the rest of Win 7 was so intuitive I couldn't believe this would be so awkward as to need to click a drop-down menu to go to a folder tree to get up one level in the directory...Shucks, I even tried the little pair of "recycle" arrows at the right of the top bar (which still don't do anything that I can see)

But -- FINALLY -- I figured it out just a couple of days ago: In the top bar, as you drill down into a directory, each step is listed in that top bar followed by a right-facing triangle. If you click on ANY of these previous directory names you jump DIRECTLY to that folder...which actually turns out to be much easier than the old "click up a level, click up a level, click up a level...you get the picture.

It's way cool, but I still haven't found it in the help files

6. johnpaul

johnpaul Thread Starter

Thanks, Philip, I feel a little better now. And you're right about how easy it is to access the other folders.

JP

7. TheOutcaste

TheOutcaste

It's in the Section titled Working with Files and Folders.
    Or click Start | Help and Support
    Search on Navigate using the address bar

Of course knowing the title makes it easier to find;)

8. philippus

philippus

I just purchased and would recommend to EVERYBODY the book by David Pogue (Tech writer for the NYT) titled "Windows 7 -- the missing manual"

Granted, being a bit "old-school" I always will favor actual "books" over online help but -- this is a particularly excellent one of the Missing Manual series
    philip

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!