1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: sims 3 error message updated error i/o operation failed

Discussion in 'Games' started by mnorthrup74, Nov 5, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mnorthrup74

mnorthrup74 Thread Starter

Hi I don't know if anyone can help but I have been having problems with downloading the newest update. I keep getting this error message, the game itself keeps freezing on me also any help would be appreciated .

2. Sick_Jargon

Sick_Jargon

This 'issue' is across the Internet, many people have had problems with regards to Firewalls/Antivirus, try disabling yours and then updating.

Remember the Windows Firewall also. :)

3. zyngachip

zyngachip

thanks for the suggestion, I had the same problem with sims 3 as well for nearly a week

4. mnorthrup74

I was able to uninstall the game and reinstalled it and now the only problem I am still having is with the game freezing on me.... any suggestions?

5. Sick_Jargon

Sick_Jargon

It may help if you make sure your Windows/Direct X is fully up-to-date, ensure you have the latest drivers for your graphics card.

It would help greatly if you provided the full specs for your PC. If you have problems doing so, you can use this program:

SysInfo It's a program provided by this website so you can trust its ok. :)

6. mnorthrup74

How do I check to make sure Windows/Direct X is up to date? Btw here's my pc specs.....

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition, Service Pack 3, 32 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU T5270 @ 1.40GHz, x86 Family 6 Model 15 Stepping 13
    Processor Count: 2
    RAM: 2038 Mb
    Graphics Card: Mobile Intel(R) 965 Express Chipset Family, 384 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 149981 MB, Free - 62848 MB;
    Motherboard: Dell Inc., 0NX907
    Antivirus: Microsoft Security Essentials, Updated: Yes, On-Demand Scanner: Enabled

7. Sick_Jargon

Sick_Jargon

I'm assuming its a Laptop and by looks of it, it's capable of running The Sims 3.

So, on to DirectX:

Hold your Windows key (to the right of Ctrl) + R. That should bring up the run window. Type 'dxdiag'
    and hit enter. That should bring up all the DirectX details.

Your DirectX should be at a version of 9.0c on XP, however there are monthly updates, so updating it regardless may help.

DirectX Update: http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?displaylang=en&id=35

Updating Graphics Drivers: http://www.intel.com/p/en_US/support/detect/graphics

Follow this, see how it goes. If it continues to give you trouble drop another post.

8. mnorthrup74

that worked ... thank you for your time

9. Sick_Jargon

Sick_Jargon

Glad to hear it.. Nothing like a sigh of relief when things just start to work. :)

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1025581

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice