1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: simultaneous peer network connections

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Cyberslam, May 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Cyberslam

Cyberslam Thread Starter

okay guys, i was just reading about the networking features of Vista and i came across a network phenomena called "simultaneous peer network connections". Then i found out that Vista Home has a limit of 5 simultaneous peer network connections and Vista Home Premium, Business etc has limit of 10 simultaneous peer network connections...this made me thinking what do they mean by "simultaneous peer network connections"?

What is it guys..?

thanks

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

That means the number of computer connections to a single machine. Say you have a network of 10 computers, only five of them could connect to the Vista Home or XP-Home machines, and 10 could connect to XP-Pro or Vista Business or Ultimate machines.

3. minoruhackerguy

minoruhackerguy

It means that when you set up a network in a peer to peer fashion(see the wiki link at the bottom of the page), you can only connect to five other computers at a time. >.<;; That is extreemly low for an os... even 10 is really.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peer-to-peer

4. JohnWill

minoruhackerguy, the whole point is that Microsoft wants you to buy a server version if you want a large Windows based network. :)

5. Cyberslam

Cyberslam Thread Starter

so, if i have a p2p network of 10 computers(all having home premium) and an internet link is connected to one of these 10 network comps then i will be able to share that internet link with the rest of the 9 comps...right? will i also be able to share files and printers?

thanks guys- really appreciate your help...

6. TerryNet

TerryNet Terry Moderator

Yes; but why would you use ICS instead of getting a router?

7. Cyberslam

Cyberslam Thread Starter

^ so even if i get a router, i will still have 10 connections (from router)? if yes, is there any way around for this ?

thanks

8. minoruhackerguy

minoruhackerguy

If you get a router, you'll have no problem sharing your internet connection with more than ten computers. ;)

What kind of network are you making? Like, how many computers are you networking together?

9. Cyberslam

Cyberslam Thread Starter

okay so this 10 computers restrictions only implies if we have a hub or switch..right?

please check if the below info on Vista from the networking point of view is correct..

-Vista Home = 5 comps, share files and printers but no domain connection
    -Vista Home Premium = 10 comps, share files and printers but no domain connection
    - Vista Business etc..= 10 comps, share files and printers + domain connection

For now, the network will be of around 8-10 computers with files+internet+printer sharing.. and i assume option would be to go for the router instead of hub/switch..

Thanks

10. JohnWill

I think you're misunderstanding what a router will do for you. There is NO way you're connecting more than 10 clients to Vista Business or Ultimate machines regardless of the type of router/switch/hub you use. Vista Home of any flavor will only allow 5 client connections.

To have more connections to a single computer, you need a server version of Windows or something like Linux, which imposes no connection limits.

11. Cyberslam

Cyberslam Thread Starter

^ so what minoruhackerguy said about having more than 10 connection using a router is incorrect?

I am planning to connect a ADSL router gateway with a switch(having 8 connections) and then use 1 more switch connected with the first swtich to have 2-3 more conenctions..

All the operating systems will have Windows XP Pro or Vista Business...

do you think that this will work?

thanks

12. JohnWill

You will be able to connect all of them to the Internet, however you will NOT be able to have more than 10 simultaneous connections (5 for Home versions of Windows) to any single machine from other machines in the network.

13. Cyberslam

Cyberslam Thread Starter

for what would i possibly need 10 or more simultaneous connections to single PC? do you have any such situation in mind? the only situation i could think of is if there is a file on one PC and around 10 or more users in the network need that file. other than that i can't think of any..

14. JohnWill

I have no idea, just making sure that you understand the limitations of your environment. :D

One possible reason would be a shared network printer that all computers would be printing to, or possibly a public file folder that everyone wants access to.

15. TerryNet

TerryNet Terry Moderator

You've been asking about the limits from the git-go! We assumed you knew why you needed the connections. Some people or small businesses use one PC as a "file server" and all the other computers access it for files and maybe printer.

You were also asking about using ICS on one PC. I don't know if Microsoft limits the number of internet clients, but it sure makes no sense at all to have such a bottleneck except for only a few clients and usually when neither cable nor DSL is an option.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/713289