1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Since when does an administrator require permission? (Vista headache!)

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by Alessia-C, Oct 20, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Alessia-C

Alessia-C Thread Starter

I have UAC disabled and have always been able to clean up my start menu by cutting and pasting the folders into categories I created. This morning I installed a Powerpoint add-on which created its own start menu entry. On attempting to cut the folder and paste it into the Microsoft Office category I got an error message saying I need permission to perform that action. This is the first time that has happened to me. My account is the only one on this machine and of course, it's an administrator account.

I checked Local Policy but could find nothing applicable.

Any ideas on how to get around this please?

2. dlsayremn

dlsayremn

Have you tried opening the program with Run as administrator?

3. Alessia-C

Alessia-C Thread Starter

What program? I'm just trying to move start menu links from one folder to another.

4. AKAJohnDoe

AKAJohnDoe

Vista changed where shortcuts in the start menu reside. They are now consolidated in a common location, which is different than XP. Vista still shows indirect shortcuts to them in the old locations, but you will get this type of error if you try to use them.

Click on the "Start Orb", click on "All Programs", Right-Click on one of the Folders, Click Open. You will be taken to the new location in Explorer.

After moving things around, you may want to reboot to refresh the indexing and caching; it may not reflect your changes until you do.

5. Alessia-C

Alessia-C Thread Starter

I'm sorry if my English is not that good but it seems that nobody understands the problem. This has nothing to do with launching programs or the location of my start menu shortcuts. I know where they reside and have never had any problem moving them ...until this morning. Now I am being told I do not have permission to move them despite the fact that I am the administrator and UAC is disabled. I don't know any other way of explaining this.

6. Elvandil

Elvandil

It's easier just to copy them from one location to another and then delete the originals. If there are subfolders, they need to be deleted first. And some, those that are for all users, will need to be deleted twice, once for your account and once for "All Users".

Vista has 2 basic types of Administrator, the "filtered" and the "real". Filtered admins, especially those connecting over the network, have far fewer privileges than they did in previous Windows versions. And admins never had total control of anything, anyway. This is more apparent in Vista, but admins do not have unlimited privileges, either, at least not without granting them to themselves

You can find quite a bit about all this in a number of places, like:

http://codefromthe70s.org/vistatutorial.asp.

7. Alessia-C

Alessia-C Thread Starter

I'm not on any network but I thank you for the link you provided. That could be most useful.

I just found a simple solution totally by accident. While Vista still won't let me cut and paste folders and links, it will allow me to drag and drop them. So I have managed to complete my task by dragging and dropping through several levels. Weird anyway!

8. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    David
    I very seldom use "Copy and Paste" but normally use the "Drag n Drop" and do not have issues.
    The problem with Cop and Past, it is a MEMORY Hog, and will NOT work on very large folders and/or files.

9. Elvandil

Elvandil

I routinely use Copy and Paste on files as large as 7.7 GBs and never had any problems with it. The memory remains unchanged during this process. The file path is the only thing copied to memory under those circumstances.

10. fairnooks

fairnooks Banned

I'm having some of the network admin access problems. Are we sure it was Microsoft that produced Vista? I'm thinking maybe it was NORTON!

11. Elvandil

Elvandil

Did you find that reg tweak to make the network admin's life easier?

12. fairnooks

fairnooks Banned

Didn't use it, I've been trying to figure out why there's no problem whatsoever with one external drive and yet the other twarts access. I used the elevate admin switch in WinBubble and it seems to be letting me through at the moment but on a few select folders within the drive I'm denied access (created the same way and have the same properties). A day or so later Vista decided to decomission the external drive I used the switch on and wanted to format it so I could use it. I cancelled out of that and a few moments later everything was back to normal except that the Network, Recycle Bin and Control Panel desktop icons had been removed and needed to be ticked again to display them. So Vista reset something apparently, don't know if its was associated with the use of WinBubble or not...but Vista just continues with these worrisome activities all the time it seems.

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/760859

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice