1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Single Server with minimal load

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by mike360x1, Nov 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mike360x1

mike360x1 Thread Starter

For some time now... I've been thinking of creating a multimedia server.. where It would be possible to stream music and videos to the server, Record shows via server, A File storage server.... So.. I was thinking of using one machine and put multiple virtual machines on it....

Now, my question is to you that.. Is there any way to run programs on server without having to boot up a OS on each one of the virtual machines... this way, there would be very little load on the machine with, fast boot times... it would be greatly appreciated...

P.S: The comp I'm using is old (2002 comp) and I don't expect it to run heavy loads...I currently don't have any specs of the comp with me at the moment...

2. Oddba11

Oddba11

First Name:
    Jim
    Each VM will require resources (ie: cpu power and RAM). You are basically dividing up the cpu/RAM into chunks. If you are using an old 2002 PC, you likely don't have the necessary hardware to get decent performance.

With the exception of "recording", you could do everything else on a basic PC running XP. Recording, depending on what exactly you are trying to do, can be hardware intensive (ie: cpu and HDD).

3. mike360x1

mike360x1 Thread Starter

So does this then mean I will need a different copy of windows for each virtual machine?

Since its a 2002 I might consider buying a new server..

In any case how about FTP? (This might be a bit offtopic) I could use it solely as a fileserver. (Just some storage and moving files around)

4. Oddba11

Oddba11

First Name:
    Jim
    Technically, each VM is different PC, so I would say yes, a different copy for each instance. But I'm not certain and don't know how the license actually works. Unless I'm mistaken, the license says "one copy per PC". But then you usually don't install XP on a server, you should be using Server.

And I don't know that you need VM's anyway. Just install Server and run all of the necessary processes to do what you need.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!