1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Skype Error 1603 AppData

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by lalalacrista, Feb 26, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. lalalacrista

lalalacrista Thread Starter

Hi, my computer runs on Windows Vista. I had Skype installed to my computer, and when I went to sign into it, it asked to install a new version of it. I tried to install the new version, and I kept getting an error that says "Could not access network location %APPDATA%\." I deleted Skype and tried to reinstall it completely, and I still kept getting the same error. I've tried advice in many other forums, and every single time I try something new, it still doesn't work and each time I try to download Skype, I get the same error. Can anyone please help me out with this? I've tried so many things and nothing has worked so far, so hopefully someone out there can help me out.

2. zigzag3143

zigzag3143

Wrong path. %appdata% should not point to a network location. It should be local to the machine. when trying to install skype try a custom install and navigate to the folder where the old skype is

Usually something like c:\program files (xp) or C:\program file (x86) WIN 7 64bit.

3. lalalacrista

I tried installing it again and directed it to C:\Program Files\Skype\ but I still got the same error.

4. Phantom010

Phantom010 Trusted Advisor

Press the Windows key + R to open a Run box.

Type regedit.

Browse to:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders

In the right-hand pane, double-click on AppData.

Change the value %APPDATA% to %USERPROFILE%\AppData\Roaming

Close the registry editor.

Restart the computer.

===================================================================

If the value for AppData is already set to %USERPROFILE%\AppData\Roaming , try THIS.

5. lalalacrista

The value for AppData was already set to that. I did what you suggested in the link, and it worked! Thank you so much!

6. Phantom010

Phantom010 Trusted Advisor

You're welcome!

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/983011