1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: skype video call button grayed out

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by AndrewDC, May 14, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. AndrewDC

AndrewDC Thread Starter

I am running Windows XP on my desktop PC. My version of Skype was upgraded to version 5.3.0.111 today and since the upgrade the video call button has been grayed out not letting me make a video calls. I have a webcam connected via a USB slot. I have tried the following with no success, changing my Skype status to offline and then back to online, uninstalling and reinstalling Skype, shutting down Skype and unplugging and plugging the webcam back into the USB slot and then restarting Skype, Restarting the PC. Unfortunately I am unable to install an earlier version of Skype as when I try to do so it I get a message advising that components are not supported and it suggests I connect to the Skype website to get the latest version of Skype.

I would really be grateful of any help or suggestions anyone can offer to solve this annoying problem.

2. flavallee

flavallee Frank Trusted Advisor

Here is the Skype support section that you can browse through.

I don't use it, so I'm not familiar with any of its problems.

--------------------------------------------------------------

3. AndrewDC

AndrewDC Thread Starter

Thanks have browsed the Skype help area and there is nothing that addresses my problem.

4. flavallee

flavallee Frank Trusted Advisor

If you google "skype video call button grayed out", it'll bring up several links that you can browse through and hopefully find a solution.

---------------------------------------------------------------

5. AndrewDC

AndrewDC Thread Starter

flavallee,

Thanks for that suggestion but I have checked out all of that information before I posted the topic here.

6. Elvandil

Elvandil

Look at Skype's advanced settings for audio and video. You may need to change the devices listed as defaults. If Skype can't find a video or audio device (or chooses the wrong one), it will not be able to perform all of its functions. (I installed a new version and those settings went back to default.)

7. AndrewDC

AndrewDC Thread Starter

I have checked all advanced settings and everything is as it should be but still video call button is greyed out.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/996801