Solved: Skype will not install on my Acer netbook

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

nichos

I had skype working OK on this netbook before I unistalled it some time ago.
Now when I try to install it says "...thanks for downloading run the setup & folow instrauctions..." & it goes round in circles repeating it without installing it.
I tried 2 or 3 versions, v8 etc.
Can anybody help please ?

ACER Aspire One D255 Specification
Intel Atom 1.66Ghz N450 processor or Intel Atom 1.5Ghz dual-core N550 processor depending on model
1Gb RAM
160Gb hard drive or 250Gb hard drive depending on model
10.1 inch WSVGA screen
1024 x 600 pixel resolution
3 x USB ports
Wifi – 802.11b/g/n
Webcam – 1.3 megapixels
Microsoft Windows XP

nichos

Thank you,

Skype was uninstalled normally & now I cleared all traces of it in the registry.

Unfortunately Skype still refuses to install.

Here are some other procedures you may want to ty to fix the failed installation. If these do not work, please carefully document what is happening, and any error messages/numbers. How was the Registry cleaned? A 'Cleaner' program is never a good option. Wandering the registry and pruning is equally dangerous. Anyway, see if this helps at all, and let us know details if it does not. http://suite101.com/article/how-to-resolving-problems-caused-by-msi-installer-a305742

please see my Acer spec in my first post above
I have seen your spec's above, that is why I asked you to run this small program so we could see the rest of the info not showing up. It makes it so much easier than having to ask you all the ?'s about your system/updates/programs.

To help us help you,please use the TSG System Info tool to let Tech's know the specs of your computer: http://static.techguy.org/download/SysInfo.exe Copy and paste the results here in your thread. You can use the TSG Info to fill in your computer information in your user profile as well.

nichos

SOLVED

by coincidence AVG Free sent this "AVGfree PC Tune Up" & I took the plunge & tuned a few things including the Registry & then Skype installed

Phantom010

Retired Trusted Advisor
SOLVED

by coincidence AVG Free sent this "AVGfree PC Tune Up" & I took the plunge & tuned a few things including the Registry & then Skype installed
For obscure reasons, this occasionally happens, but rarely.

However, you should avoid Registry Cleaners, Boosters, Optimizers, TuneUp Utilities... This type of software will do a lot more harm than good, and should only be used by advanced users who really know their way around the registry. Most members coming here with WEIRD symptoms had their computer messed up by malware and/or registry cleaners. These utilities do not only remove what "they think" are orphan entries in the registry but legitimate files still in use will be deleted in the process, crippling some programs and Windows applications beyond repair. I'm really disappointed in AVG for ever coming up with that dangerous tool.

Keep in mind that they will always find "errors" to fix, even on a fresh Windows install! In itself, this should be enough to convince non-believers...

http://library.techguy.org/wiki/Registry_Cleaners

Why I Don’t Use Registry Cleaners

Registry Cleaners and System Tweaking Tools

Do I Need a Windows Registry Cleaner?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online