1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Slave drive "Access Denied" on "Documents and Settings" Folder

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Old_Fart, Jul 15, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Old_Fart

Old_Fart Thread Starter

I added a slave drive to my Windows XP Pro computer, and it appears to work properly.

However, when I open the "Documents and Settings" folder (on the slave drive E:\, which is Windows XP Home Edition -- not XP Pro), I do not see any of my documents, sub-folders, etc. There should be MANY sub-folders (inside the "My Documents" folder which isn't even visible), with hundreds of documents, jpgs, etc. within it.

When that drive is installed as the Primary drive in my other computer, the User "Larry" (which is me) has all Administrative privileges. On the computer that I'm running now (with the slave drive in it), I also have Administrator privileges. I own both computers.

My User Name "Larry" is password-protected when I login to Windows (when the drive is Primary and installed into my main computer (not this computer with XP Pro).

I've tried clicking on all the users; Administrator, Default User, Larry, Guest, etc. (Note: I get an "Access Denied" error when clicking on the Guest "Documents and Settings" folder).

So, the questions are:

1. Why can't I see any files or subdirectories in the "Documents and Settings" folder on the slave drive?

2. There's supposed to be a folder named "My Documents," but I can't find it. Normally, that path is "C:\Documents and Settings\My Documents".
    --- Where is that folder? It contains all the files I'm looking for.

3. Do I have to put the drive back into the other computer, and then change something before putting it into this computer, or can I change something in this computer to access the folders?

I'm really confused.

Old_Fart (Larry)

2. win2kpro

win2kpro

3. Old_Fart

Old_Fart Thread Starter

That did it! I was confused at first about all the different choices and options, but then I realized that it was Microsoft's web site! That is to be expected, since nothing is ever quite simple at Microsoft.

I suppose that if I ever put that hard drive back into my other computer, I'm going to have to reverse the procedures, so that the other computer (and I) will be able to execute programs, etc.

Your quick reply is appreciated, greatly! Thank you.
    Larry

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!