1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

{SOLVED} Slave drive letter inserts itself within master partition drive letters

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by E. Lange, Mar 5, 2000.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. E. Lange

E. Lange Thread Starter

Have just installed a new 8.7 Maxtor in a P100. This drive is set as master and partitioned into 5 which assigns drive letters c,d,e,f,g . If I re-install the old 500mb drive unit as a slave ( Quantum Maverick) it assigns itself as drive letter D. I want this drive to show up as drive H . If I go to Device manager, hard drives, double click on generic ide type 47, settings, for this drive the drive letter assignment is there, but I cannot change it. Any ideas please.

2. brianF

brianF

I don't think you can change it. Normally the bios will take the primary of the 1st ide drive as c, the primary of the second ide as d, the next partition of the primary ide drive as e, etc.

3. LarryCore

LarryCore

That is correct. In DOS and Win9x you cannot change the simple fact that physical drives get letters before logical drives do. Other OSs (like NT) let you change this though.

Actually, if you want to be technical, you COULD make the 500 meg drive an extended partition, which would allow it to have a higher letter, but that means wiping it out, and having software that will let you do so. I don't think FDISK will let you make the only partition on the drive into an extended one.

4. E. Lange

E. Lange Thread Starter

Great, thanks guys! I can still power up this 500mb'ter and retrieve any files (in a pinch). Once the owners are happy then I will format this drive. I do have a Quantum disk manager and am pretty sure it will assign it the proper letter, should we decide to keep this drive in the first place. Thanks again.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/32527

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice