1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Sleep mode problem?

Discussion in 'Networking' started by mtx5600, Aug 31, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mtx5600

mtx5600 Thread Starter

I have windows 7. An HP desktop and each time I come out of sleep mode I lose my internet connection. I can't get to AOL or IE. If I run the linksys repair diagnostic I can get to the internet.
    If I do reboot everything works OK. I am connecting thru a router DYNEX DX-E 401 and the modem
    is a Motorola SB5120. It will work ok for awhile and then will fail for no apparent reason

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Start by downloading the latest drivers for your network adapter. I'd also check Device Manager and disable any power saving features of the NIC.

3. mtx5600

mtx5600 Thread Starter

I have completed both of these Thks

4. JohnWill

Same issue? Did you check for updated chipset drivers?

5. mtx5600

mtx5600 Thread Starter

No, what area do I need to look.?Thks

6. JohnWill

The computer or motherboard manufacturer would supply the chipset drivers, in this case HP.

7. mtx5600

mtx5600 Thread Starter

I have used HP computer assistant to upgrade all drivers and software.
    It says that everything is up to date. Thks Will this suffice.?

8. JohnWill

Well, it should.

Hold the Windows key and press R, then type devmgmt.msc

Please respond to all the following steps.

1. Under Network adapters, please tell me all the devices listed.
    2. Are there any devices under Network adapters that have a red x displayed?
    3. Also, are there any devices anywhere in the Device Manager display with yellow ? or ! displayed?

It would be best if you could post a screen shot of Device Manager with the Network adapters and Other devices sections expanded.

To post a screen shot of the active window, hold the Alt key and press the PrtScn key. Open the Windows PAINT application and Paste the screen shot. You can then use PAINT to trim to suit, and save it as a JPG format file. To upload it to the forum, open the full reply window and use the Manage Attachments button to upload it here.

9. mtx5600

mtx5600 Thread Starter

The dev mgr is totally clean. No warnings red or yellow. Thks
    I have added attment as requested

Attached Files:

10. mtx5600

mtx5600 Thread Starter

I didn/t see "Other Devices" so I opened all the catergories and nothing was flagged. Thks

11. JohnWill

Well, this could be simply an issue with the specific network hardware. I had a computer that refused to recover from sleep, I just added a PCI NIC to it to solve the issue.

12. mtx5600

mtx5600 Thread Starter

This morning this happen from power up. So it is not just from sleep mode as I had
    been seeing. Once I get the connection it can stay all day, other times not.
    This moening when I could not get in I plugged my wifes apple into the router
    and she got to AOL with no problems. I am really confused with what is happening. Thks

13. JohnWill

I think you may simply have a flaky NIC.

14. mtx5600

mtx5600 Thread Starter

Hi, I installed a new PCI Linksys EG1032 network adapter into my machine. It came up out of sleep mode this morning and I got straight into my AOL mail.
    I came back to my machine a couple of hours later and tried to get into AOL and couldn’t. AOL said it could not find a connection. Suggested trying IE. Had to use task Mgr to get out of AOL. IE couldn’t find the internet either. Linksys diagnostic repaired the connection and I got into AOL OK. Any suggestions Many Thks

15. JohnWill

Well, I'd do the same thing recommended before, make sure any power saving features are disabled on the new NIC.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/946972

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice