1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Sleep Mode

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Elyk, Sep 25, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Elyk

Elyk Thread Starter

So, my Acer Aspire 5251-1513 won't properly go to sleep.

When I close the lid, sometimes it goes into sleep mode, but other times it goes into ? mode. It's power button light and other power light are lit and the screen shuts off and the fan still runs normal speed. And unlike sleep mode, the only thing that will get it out of this mode is by pressing the power button.

I can put it into sleep mode manually, but I like the convenience of shutting the lid and it doing that.

Ideas?

And, yes, the settings say to go to sleep when lid closes in all power modes.

The thing that makes me mad about the situation is that it will overheat (65 degree C) if I put it in my bookbag.

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    That ? mode sounds like some never-never land between awake and hibernation. Can you put the laptop into hibernation and awaken it OK?

I ask for two reasons. Your results may give some clue about the Sleep problem. And, if it works OK, I suggest using hibernation instead of sleep when putting it in a bag or case.

3. Elyk

Elyk Thread Starter

It hibernates fine. I tried the hibernation and it's currently my selected option. But I would like to know why the sleep doesn't function all the way.

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Since the problem is intermittent my best guess is some application or device is refusing to pause and somehow the OS is getting into a state where it can neither sleep nor awaken. Of course, hardware problems are often intermittent also.

If you could think of or detect any particular application, or visited web site, that is active only when the problem occurs that may get you closer to a cause.

5. Elyk

Elyk Thread Starter

It may be Firefox or a particular website. I will explore.

6. Elyk

Elyk Thread Starter

So, it is Mozilla Firefox that is causing the sleep problem. I can even manually put it to sleep when Firefox is open. It probably has something to do with the new update. I hope they release a bug fix soon.

7. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Interesting find! This computer with Firefox 3.5.11 Sleeps fine. I'll have to try it with my other system that has the latest 3.6.whatever.

8. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    My Windows 7 64-bit with Firefox 3.6.10 open with sites in 3 or 4 tabs will sleep OK. Maybe it's one of your add-ons or a particular site that is causing your issue.

9. Elyk

Elyk Thread Starter

I'm going to wait for another update or going to downgrade. Its now affecting hibernate mode. :(

If I close Firefox now, there's a 90% chance that it sleeps or hibernates fine.

10. Elyk

Elyk Thread Starter

So, problem fixed [as far as I know, but I think it is ultimately].

I noticed that my Firefox unpinned itself from my taskbar and the icon on my desktop disappeared [turned into a blank file icon].

This leads me to believe that my Firefox program installed incorrectly on the update and got corrupted or one of the Adobe Flash Player updates corrupted it. Regardless, something was corrupted.

I uninstalled when I notice the icon thing. I reinstalled the same version (3.6.10). I've done several trials with other programs on my computer and different tabs in Firefox. All seems well.

My laptop can finally get some rest. Thanks.

11. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Excellent. They work so much better when well rested. :)

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!