1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Slide Show and Movie Project

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by caraewilton, Apr 26, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. caraewilton

caraewilton Thread Starter

Hi guys.

Hoping you can help me:)

I recently took a group of kids on tour. I have about 1500 photos and a 40 min video which I want to put on DVD for them.

I have sorted the photos, deleting duplicates, blurred and over exposed photographs, leaving me with 500 odd pictures sorted into 13 categories. I am now in the process of creating slideshows of each category. The slide shows are pretty simple, about 20 photos viewing for 4 seconds and a 3 sec transition. I have created an mp3 music file (using adacity) which then plays when a slide show runs. Each picture has been resized to 600 pixels high, aspect ratio maintained using irfanview.

To create the slide shows, I originally used windows movie maker version 6, however found the quality to be poor so tried a few other applications, eventually settling on Camtasia Studio 3.

I am able to insert the photographs, add the mp3 sound track and add add transition effects as required. Once all is done I then produce video as an avi, as this offers the most superior quality.

Here are the problems?

Do these avi files play on any pc with windows media player, or are special codecs required?

These files are pretty big, averaging 100mb per slide show. Is there a way to reduce the size without loosing quality. Experimentation shows that the same project produced as a wmv is only about 5 mb, but quality is very poor.

Camtasia also allows me to create flash flv files which are good quality and smaller than the avi files. I have considered this as an option and then creating a mini webpage which will allow the kids to view the files. I am not sure though, if this will work... any ideas? I have frontpage 2003, is it difficult to incorporate these files into the webpage?

On the video side.

The video was taken using a canon digital video camera. I can't remember the model but the footage was recorded onto a tape. With my current computer hardware it is not possible to dub this footage directly onto my computer so I plugged the camera into my dvd recorder. I have then recorded the footage onto a dvd. This machine produces a standard dvd file, specifically .vob

I am not able to import these files into windows video maker. Is this because wvm does not support .vob files or because I need to install an additional codec? If I need to install a codec, where can I get it from?
    All I want to do, is clip the footage so as to remove the boring stuff hopefully cutting the movie down to about 20 minutes.
    If wvm can't do the job, what other programme should I use?
    I do have cyberlink DVD maker gold which I have used to edit .vob files in the past, however it is not compatible with vista (my current operating system). If nobody has a better solution I can just use one of the school computers which still have windows xp to do the job, but I am hoping that there is a solution as I would like to complete this project over the weekend.

Lastly I want to put this all onto a DVD-R disc and sell it to the kids. I want it to look professional as I am expecting them to pay. My idea is to use the proceeds to purchase a decent video editing programme and possibly a video capture card.

Is it possible to create a dvd which will play in a dvd player as well as have data files of the photographs so that the kids can print individual photos if they so wish?
    I understand that if I want the avi files to play on a dvd player, I have to convert them, and there will be a loss of quality. For TV purposes this loss of quality is fine as it will not be noticed when played on a TV. Is there a way to create a dvd that will will automatically play the correct files when placed in a dvd player, but when loaded on a computer, a menu will autoload which will allow the kids to select the high quality avi files to watch or open up the jpg photograph files.

Sorry, I know there are a lot of questions here. Any advise would be greatly appreciated. As this sometimes matters, below is a list of my computer specs and currently installed applications:

Windows Vista Business - Service Pack 1
    Intel duo core 1.8ghz
    2 gig ram

Windows Movie Maker 6
    Camtasia Studio 3
    Pinnacle Video Spin 1
    IrfanView
    Free Video Converter
    Video DVD Maker Free
    Cheetah DVD Burner
    Audacity (Lame codec installed)
    K-Lite Codecs
    Microsoft Windows Media Encoder 9 Series

I also have Super, which I have used to convert video files in the past.

2. caraewilton

Hi guys. Still hoping for a little help.
    I have installed dvd flick which converts my avi files to dvd .vob files and creates a rather nice dvd. Still wondering if it is possible to include jpeg files on the same disc.
    What is the best DVD to copy this video onto? DVD-R or DVD+R?

3. fairnooks

fairnooks Banned

A standard NTSC .vob file with one main audio channel is just a specific mpeg-2 file so if you change the .vob to .mpg many programs can readily handle the file. However you might still run into problems with it on WMM because its not too happy with large files either and vob/mpg files tend to be a gig or more. There is no codec per se for vob files and even programs that claim to handle vobs often do a poor job of it. One glaring exception to that rule is AutoGK but that has no editing ability and only produces either Xvid or Divx Avi files which you could probably use as a transitional format if worse came to fruition. I use Pinnacle Studio 11 and it works well outputing to wmv but its a fairly buggy program all on its own as well, but not nearly as bad as WMM.

Your DVD maker gold may be a more viable option than first thought of, especially if you have some familiarity with using it, but I would try the extension change in WMM first just to see if it can handle the file.

Ulead CD & DVD Pictureshow is one program that will do exactly that, I'm sure there are others but that's the one I always remeber.

Not really, at least not for sure. Avi just describes the "container" for the video which can be Xvid or Divx or DV or any number of other specifically encoded formats. Probably the most compatible avi that would play on most WM Players is the DV-avi which is also high in quality but its major drawback is its HUGE file size. Only the wmv format can be relied upon to deliver dependable playback on stock WM players. Depending on how long the slideshow is, reduction to a 5 mb wmv file from a 100 mb avi file may be too much compression. If the avi file is a DV-avi you should shoot for something more in the range of 10-20 mb (at the same dimension) to maintain acceptable quality. Again you might need anther editing program for that as I think WMM is limited to certain bitrate presets.

4. caraewilton

Thanks fairnooks. I have learned a lot here.
    My avi files are huge... 4 minutes of slide show equaling 150mb and that is after cutting the size of the photographs and reducing the quality of the music file.
    DVDflick is capable to decode these files into .vob (as you have now informed me ... mpeg 2) and produce a very nice dvd, including menus, and the quality is satisfactory.
    Your information about avi files has been most informative as it explains a few problems I have been having with another project I am working on.
    I have looked as ulead, thank you, but it is a little out of my price range at the moment.
    I have decided on the following:
    Create two discs: Disk 1 will be a dvd of the slide shows
    Disk 2, a cd with the pictures.

I have read various threads about the best DVD media to use. It is all a bit contradictory so have decided to go with my own personal experience. Verbatim DVD-R. These seem to work in most dvd players. The downside is that they are the most expensive discs you can buy in SA, but maybe that is why they seem to be the most reliable, that said I have had dvd's that do not work.

Thanks for reading through my very long posts and the information given. Much appreciated.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/707308

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice