1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Slow Boot

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by Dedcert, Sep 27, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Dedcert

Dedcert Thread Starter

I've been told that I can speed up my PC boot-up by disabling some programmes from starting with windows. I am not computer savvy enough to know which ones it is safe to disable in the start up folder, nor do I know how to get to it in the first place. Any advice/help would be very much appreciated. I've had great help from members in the past so I'm counting on you guys/gals to sort me out again. I'm just sorry I'm so much of a technophobe!!

2. Leadroflstsouls

Leadroflstsouls

Well first of all you know how to disable the start up programs? There's a couple of ways to do it I think the easyiest is to go to the search bar in the start up menu and type msconfig then enter. It should then bring up the system configuration utility click on the start up tab and those are all of your start up items. If you feel comfortable enough I would say take a screen shot of it and post it on here and ill tell ya what you can disable and what you shouldn't. To do that you open up the window like before and spread out the command tab on the top so to show the location of the programs that are running on start up and press the Print Screen Button on the keyboard its normally around the insert key. Then open up paint and past it in there (ctrl+v) then save that picture and post it here or post it somewhere like photobucket and link it from here. It might take a few pictures to show them all. If you don't feel comfortable about doing that you could just make a list of all the .exe files in that command column and post it. If you just want to do it on your own I would suggest keeping away from disabling the ones that have WINDOWS and/or SYSTEM32 in their address in the command column.

3. Dedcert

Dedcert Thread Starter

Thanks - I'll do what you suggested and let you see what's going on , but it won't be for a few days as I've got loads of other stuff to do at this precise mo. After I've posted the necessary info. I'll check back, prob next weekend and see if you have had time to have a look through it for me. Thanks again. I'll sort it out soon. Dedcert.....

4. Dedcert

Dedcert Thread Starter

Took your advice but when I found all the start-up apps. I realised I recognized them all so I won't need to trouble you with finding out what they all are or which ones I can safely stop from starting at boot-up. I stopped a couple but mostly they were stuff I either needed or wanted to run. So - THANKS for your generous offer of help but this time (for once), I have managed to do something for myself. LONG MAY IT LAST - I hear you mumble under your breath - LOL. But seriously, I couldn't get by without guys like you who are willing to give their time and expertise to help "wrinklies" like me (and there are lots of us around). Thanks and best regards - Dedcert.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/753798

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice