Solved: Slow Bootup in Win98 SE

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

dsljohn

During normal bootup, win 98 se pauses for like 45 to 50 seconds, with no hard disk activity, then continues to load normally. Is there a way or registry fix to make the pause disappear or much less?
The computer this is on is a PII 350, and a gateway machine, with 192 MB Ram, 15 GB HD.

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
From the time you hit the power button until the desktop fully loads and the hourglass disappears, how long does it take?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Click Start - Run, type in MSCONFIG, then click OK - "Startup" tab.

How many entries are listed there with a checkmark next to them?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

dsljohn

I have turned off everything I deemed unnecessary in MSCONFIG.
Besides Windows normally loading certain drivers, I have Pest Patrol and it's entries loading, also zonealarm and AVG anti-virus loads like 3 things. I have this computer networked with a wireless USB Adapter that loads, and an AOL Tray Icon. But, even before I networked and added the anti-virus and firewall, it was doing the SLOW Boot UP....the long Pause.....
In total, there are now 18 items that load at start up according to MSCONFIG. Thanks for your help.

blues_harp28

Hi..you haven't posted your Hijack this log for some time..may be a good time to post one..let log experts check it out..
You may have some nasties lurking on your system..;)

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
By all means, post a HijackThis log here.

18 entries with checkmarks is too many. We should be able to reduce that number a bit.

WhitPhil

Gone but never forgotten
Trusted Advisor
During the startup sequence, Windows goes through the following (at an overview level):

1. Logo.sys (windows screen) is displayed
2. Wallpaper/Background appears
3. Startup Sound is heard
4. Quicklaunch Icons appear
5. Desktop Icons Appear
6. Clock appears
7. Tasktray area appears

Exactly where are you seeing the pause?

dsljohn

After reading some other forums on other sites, I ran across what the problem was with this computer. I had this computer networked wirelessly through a USB Adapter, and even with the driver not loading on start up, just having it connected to the WIN 98SE USB caused the long Pause. What I read was something like, Windows loads USB NIC, and Win 98SE has to spend a lot of time configuring this, then continue to load.
Once I unconnected the USB Wireless Adapter, Windows loads normally.
THen, if I needed to connect to the Internet, I would plug in the Wireless Adapter, and Windows would load the necessary Driver(s), rather quickly, and it was a GO from there. So, for some reason, having it connected during bootup was causing the slowness of Boot Up.
Thanks to everyone for their help. I really appreciate the help i have received in the past, this site is a Great Resource!!!

blues_harp28

Hi.there may be an alternative answer to disconnecting USB
Can't think of one..someone may know..;)

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts