1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: SLOW... Can I speed it up?

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by bellybutton, Jul 18, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. bellybutton

bellybutton Thread Starter

I wasn't sure exactly WHERE to post this... so, I'm gonna start here...

I have a very small desktop computer. It has an AMD Athlon Processor (2850e) 1.8 Ghz, and 2GB RAM. (64 bit OS). it is made by EMACHINES model #EL1331G. I use FIREFOX browser & windows 7 os.

This computer has always been fine for just me. But now my husband has found FACEBOOK GAMES, and it takes FOREVER to load anything! The USER PROFILES option NEVER WORKED ON THIS COMPUTER ~ I have tried to make different profiles, but it never worked. So, it's not only the two of us on it, but now my son wants to use it also. I know this is taking up huge amounts of space & memory. I've tuned it up, taken off unused programs, cleaned it out, and it still doesn't run very well. Pages load eventually, and they can IM pretty quickly.

My question is... can I buy more memory for this computer and make it faster? or should we just buy another tower?? I thought that you could open it up & add another memory board to it?

My next step is to take all my photos & music & put it on my external hard drive, then remove them all from this computer. I just bought myself a laptop, but haven't "broken it in" yet. And, there's a lot of information on this desktop that is still being used by me.

2. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    The eMachines EL1331G desktop has 2 slots and supports a maximum of 4 GB of RAM - 2 GB in each slot.

It supports these RAM modules:

240-pin DDR2 PC2-5300(DDR2-667), 1.8 volt, CL=5, unbuffered, non-ECC

240-pin DDR2 PC2-6400(DDR2-800), 1.8 volt, CL=6, unbuffered, non-ECC

Increasing the amount of RAM from its current 2 GB to 4 GB may give it a speed and performance boost, but don't expect to see a drastic improvement.

----------------------------------------------------------

Windows 7 64-bit does not come pre-installed in that desktop, so how did it get installed in it?

----------------------------------------------------------

The more people who use the same computer, the more problems you can expect to have with it.

Each user has different browsing and downloading and computing habits, so it's inevitable the computer will get cluttered and get infected.

If you have personal data that you don't want to lose permanently, you definitely need to back it up to reliable external media.

-----------------------------------------------------------

3. bellybutton

The Windows 7 64-bit is what it says in the 'SYSTEM' folder. If it's not supposed to be there, I really have no idea how it got there. I don't even know what it means! LOL...

Believe me, I am SO aware of the problems of multiple users. This is why I now have my new laptop, so I don't really use the desktop much anymore. But, since I was the ONLY one using it from late 2009 until about a year ago, I have A LOT of stuff on it! I've been subscribed to CARBONITE for a couple of years, and I also back up to an external hard drive. I'm in the process of transferring my music files to my laptop. Then I can remove them from the desktop. I'm also going to copy my photos & remove them. I'm hoping this will also free up a lot of space.

Thank you for your info. I did check the link you gave me. I also looked at other recommended upgrades for that computer ~ the 4GB kit for memory & the SEAGATE barracuda HDD 1T SATA-300 hard drive. Don't these upgrades go hand in hand? These two together would cost a lot less than a new computer. Which leads me to this question... Will installing BOTH of these make more sense than only upgrading the memory? And, will this combination make a difference to the performance?

Can I ask another question here?? (this is related to this post, but it's a completely different problem. It was going to be my next posted question)

My husband & son pretty much only use FACEBOOK, and maybe browse yahoo's homepage. But, they NEVER use anything else. I'm wondering if there is ANY way to ONLY remove MY information from that computer? Without deleting my site profiles? (like facebook & yahoo) My new laptop is running Windows 8, so ALL of my apps show up on the other computer, under FACEBOOK APPS! I SEE NO WAY OF DOING THIS. Am I wrong?

As I stated before, the USER ACCOUNTS never worked on that computer. When I bought it, I made an administrator account & one user account. Every time I tried to make another account, it let me make it ~ then gave an error message when I tried to log into it. ("User Profile Service. service failed the logon. User Profile cannot be loaded"). I know that if I could just create more user accounts, a lot of my problems would be solved. I've posted this problem in this forum before, and I've done everything suggested. (I've read that this was a huge problem for a lot of Win7 users) So, if you happen to have a solution to this problem, I would REALLY APPRECIATE IT!!

I hope I'm not asking too much here. I just love to get a hold of a smart person & pick their brain! LOL! Thank you so very much for your help!

4. metallica5456

metallica5456 Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Andrew
    Once you get ALL of your data off of the tower, a FRESH Installation of windows would be the BEST way to "de-clutter" the computer, IMO. If this is an option it might be the easiest way. However you should also MAX out the RAM from 2GB to 4GB.

5. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    Upon checking further, I determined that the eMachines EL1331G desktop sold new for about $300.00 and came with Windows 7 64-bit installed.

Because it's a low-end desktop, it has a low-end AMD 2850e processor which will bottleneck its speed and performance, even with more RAM.

If you decide to replace the current hard drive with a larger capacity hard drive, you'll need to reinstall Windows and all the programs and extras in that computer.

I personally don't use Facebook or Yahoo, nor do I set up my computers with multiple user accounts, so I can't really address any questions and issues with them.

It's my guess that computer has become infested with malware, spyware, rogues, adware trackers, etc. which is affecting speed and performance and causing other issues.

If you're willing to put some security-related programs to use, I'll be glad to give you step-by-step instructions on how to install and use them.

-----------------------------------------------------------

6. bellybutton

Haha! Yeah, I know it is a REALLY cheap computer. But, I was buying the more pricey ones & had to replace them after only a few years. I went thru so many computers in a 10 year span that I lost count. The one I had before this desktop ~ I spent $900 on! And it quit after about 3 years. (I later learned I was getting low voltage power surges that were slowly frying them to death. Even thru my surge protector! I now have a backup battery & keep a constant voltage. No more fried computers!) So, I decided to get something cheap. And, overall, it's been a pretty good computer.

I've run NORTON 360 on it from the beginning. I check for updates, and have the latest version. I run live updates AT LEAST once a day. I have it set up to do quick scans whenever it's idle. I run full scans about twice a month. I really think it's pretty clean. I also run Windows updates about once a month.

I honestly do not think it is any of the problems you suggested. I think it's just a low-end computer trying to do too much. It seems to run fine when I'm browsing or writing email. I think it's more a problem with the social media sites & flash players.

Ok. So, I can either upgrade this one and go thru all the hassle of actually doing it & re-loading ALL the OLD software (which I'm assuming are the recovery disks I made when I bought it?) and starting from scratch OR find an inexpensive new or refurbished one with EVERYTHING already good to go and start from scratch there. Hmmm. I'm thinking it would be best to do the latter. Also, this would give me the opportunity to take my stuff off the old desktop at my own pace. AGREE??

Thank you for all of your help!! I do appreciate it greatly!!

7. replay

replay

i just worked on and sold one these emachines........ one thing to watch out for is the small power supply intake grill and the exhaust grill gets blocked up with dust...... so keep an eye out for this
    as mentioned by metallica, a fresh windows install would be best and buy 2 x 2 gig sticks of ddr2 667 or 800
    i would also uninstall norton antivirus and install microsoft security essentials (for the antivirus) http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/security-essentials-download

8. bellybutton

@replay ~ thanks for the heads up! I never think of stuff like that!

9. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    Norton 360 is not going to protect your computer 100% all by itself.

That's why there are security-related programs available to combat various threats.

Considering how that computer is being used and that it has multiple users, you may be surprised what it's picked up.

-------------------------------------------------------------

I stopped buying new desktops years ago because of their high cost and because of all the useless and trial/demo "bloatware" that came in them.

I've bought several refurbished desktops in the last few years and have paid less than $300.00 for all of them.

-------------------------------------------------------------

10. bellybutton

@flavallee

YES! That is EXACTLY what I'm going to do ~ buy a refurbished. I'm going thru countless sites, trying to figure out which one to get. I've never had good luck with hp/compaq, so I'm looking at gateway/acer right now. So, I'm not going to worry about all the bells & whistles ~ just a decent model with Windows 8 OS. I've found one for around $195. I think that's the one...

NOW... my next big project is finding security software. I saw one in CONSUMER REPORTS (don't remember the name. I need to find the issue to find out) that had a very high satisfaction rating. I still only have the factory installed on this laptop. If you can give me a few to check out, I would TRULY APPRECIATE IT!

Well, I'm going to be marking this one solved. Once again ~ THANK YOU FOR ALL OF YOUR HELP!!!

11. metallica5456

metallica5456 Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Andrew
    thats what we are here for :)

12. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    I've never used Windows 8 and don't plan to use it any sooner than I'm forced to.

I've had good success with refurbished Dell desktops with Windows 7 and have bought 4 of them from

www.newegg.com

www.overstock.com

--------------------------------------------------------

13. bellybutton

That's EXACTLY how I felt about getting Windows 8. My new laptop is win8. I was very intimidated by it at first, but I figured it out pretty quickly. It is really set up for a touchscreen computer. Which I don't have. (I hate feeling like I'm being pushed to buy something new ~ in order to use something) The only reason I'm looking at this OS is because of its newness. It's a lot like Windows 7, only with better features & less screen clutter.

I checked out the links you provided. Thank you. I forgot about Newegg! overstock.com didn't have a lot in my price range. I think I found what I want on amazon.com...

AGAIN... THANK YOU FOR ALL OF YOUR HELP! I DO APPRECIATE IT MORE THAN YOU CAN IMAGINE!!

14. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    You're welcome. :)

--------------------------------------------------------

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1103937

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice