1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Slow computer - Hijackthis log

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by Tuppence2, Oct 2, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Tuppence2

Tuppence2 Thread Starter

Hello.

I would be grateful if someone would look at this log for me. My computer has slowed a lot when accessing the net in the past few days. Hopefully, it's a problem with the net and not my computer.

Thank you.

Penny

Attached Files:

2. cybertech

cybertech Retired Moderator

The log looks fine so I'm moving you over to the Vista Forum.

3. Dantesgirl

Dantesgirl

If the log's fine and you think the problem lies in your internet connection, maybe you should include more information on your connection for the mods' sake?

What speed is your internet connection?
    Is your internet wired or wireless? This includes if you're using a WiFi card/receiver.
    What websites are you trying to access that're slow?

That sort of thing - the more information you provide, the quicker you'll get a valid answer. :D

4. Tuppence2

Tuppence2 Thread Starter

Thanks very much for your help, Cybertech and Dantesgirl. I appreciate you taking the time.

I'm pleased the log is all right.

I have a cable internet connection, Virgin Media, download speed 1952 kbps, upload speed 170 kbps. The site that's been particularly slow is "Yahoo", so it may just be a traffic problem on such a heavily used site.

Penny :)

5. Dantesgirl

Dantesgirl

I can tell you that the problem probably is your internet connection - speaking from experience, Virgin Media are HORRIBLE providers.

They claim to have no download limits, but if you try to download what they see as 'too much', they knock your internet off for the day. This has happened to me many times.

A whole day without the internet makes me an unhappy little girl. XD

Yahoo's working fine with me and I'm also using Virgin Media, maybe there are too many people using your server at the same time?

That's the only solution I can come up with. :p

6. cybertech

cybertech Retired Moderator

That's pretty poor indeed! Maybe I should have moved you to Networking! I'll let you hang out here for a bit. If you want the thread moved just use the *report* button.

Have you rest your modem and/or router?

7. Tuppence2

Tuppence2 Thread Starter

Yes, the speed isn't very good. Faster speeds are available for more money but I'll stick with what I've got for the present. Thanks for letting me hang out here. :) I have my answer, I think.

I use Virgin because I have their cable TV and Telephone and it seemed simpler to have broadband in the package.

Thanks again.

8. topcat989

topcat989

I see you have avg anti virus. Do a speed test and then exit avg completely (from the task manager end the 8 or so processes Avg has running). then do a speed test again (http://www.speakeasy.net/speedtest/). I was using avg and had to uninstall and start using Avira anti virus because it was slowing my browsing speed down. Hope this helps.

9. Tuppence2

Tuppence2 Thread Starter

Hello topcat.

Thank you very much for the advice. I'll try a speed test as you suggest and see if there's a difference. Will post as to what happens.

Penny

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/755544

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice