1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Slow Connection Speed

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by frauleink, Dec 23, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. frauleink

frauleink Thread Starter

I have had this Gateway Processor for a number of months now. It came loaded with Windows 8 and when we got it, it seemed incredibly fast compared to our old E-Machine with Vista. It still seems okay, except for sometimes, but I found a note in my computer file with the www.speedtest.net website and decided to take the free speed test just to see. Well, the results are not good. They say my download speed is only 2.97 and my upload speed is .85 and my "Ping" is only 8. Can you suggest what I might do to improve this?

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    What does your ISP advertise as their download and upload "up to" speeds?

3. frauleink

frauleink Thread Starter

I have no idea. It's just that one time before, when someone was helping me, I was told that my old computer was running a download speed of 3.54 which I was told was pretty good, and my upload speed was .97, which I was told was good enough, and my Ping was 13, which I was told was very good. So these speeds on my new computer are not seeming too good.

4. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    It would also help if we knew what type of service you had. Is it DSL, Wireless, or Cable?

5. frauleink

frauleink Thread Starter

wireless

6. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    In the area where I live Wireless is the slowest broadband in our market. 2 to 3 MB is the advertised but what you actually get can range from .75 MB to 3MB

7. frauleink

frauleink Thread Starter

Oh! Okay, so maybe it's my wireless and not my computer. I guess maybe I'll call the Geeks (I have one of those 2 year subscription deals for support) and see if they can figure it out. Maybe it's not that important. Thanks for your help!

8. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Your results will depend on the wireless service (3G, 4G, LTE, ...), distance from the nearest cell tower and total traffic on that tower.

9. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    For some reason I didn't think about cellular wireless. I was thinking about the likes of Clearwire. We have a couple of Wireless Internet providers in my area.

10. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    "Fixed wireless" as in line of sight to an antenna on the roof? At least as reasonable as, and probably more so, my cellular thought.

11. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    Yeah basically Fixed Wireless. I used to have to rely on fixed wireless in a area before Cable Internet was available. And the throughput would be terrible when the signal had heavy interference.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!