1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: slow download speed

Discussion in 'Networking' started by budumkshh, Sep 11, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. budumkshh

budumkshh Thread Starter

Here's the problem. My laptop is not getting the same download speed that it usually does. I usually get about 2-3Mbs but lately it has been under 100kbs and sometimes out completely. I am using a Netgear wnr2000 wireless router with at&t yahoo as the service provider. at&t says that there is nothing wrong with the connection on their side. The network has a password so nobody but me and two other computers should be using the internet. The two other computers are wired and the 2-3Mbs is what I used to get when they were all running at the same time. I have looked through the old posts and I have only found 1 or 2 people with the same problem as me but there threads have not helped me. Well I'm not to sure what else I can say. Thanks for the help.

2. budumkshh

budumkshh Thread Starter

OP here. I just ran a speed test on it in Safe mode with Networking and it got 4.75Mbs. So obviously it has something to do with my computer when it is booted normally. Could it be that I have a virus/spyware/adware that is hogging all my bandwidth? I've ran windows defender and AVG and they didn't rind anything. I know thoes arent the most credible programs but I don't have that much money to spend on high end stuff :p. What can I do?

3. budumkshh

budumkshh Thread Starter

sorry for the triple post but I thought this might help other people if they are in the same situation as me. I booted my computer in safe mode and ran a program called Spybot Search and Destroy. It found a lot of things that shouldnt be on my computer and fixed the problem. Next thing I did was restart my computer and booted it normally. Now my internet is running fine 3Mbs and up. Sorry for the trouble.

4. redoak

redoak Gone but never forgotten

Please click "Solved" in the upper left corner of the screen.

{redoak}

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/860134

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice