1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Slow Going

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by CWB913, Apr 22, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. CWB913

CWB913 Thread Starter

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 8.1, 64 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-4200U CPU @ 1.60GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 69 Stepping 1
    Processor Count: 4
    RAM: 8104 Mb
    Graphics Card: Intel(R) HD Graphics Family, -2016 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 705573 MB, Free - 638254 MB;
    Motherboard: TOSHIBA, Portable PC
    Antivirus: Windows Defender, Disabled

Hi,

I was having issues with viruses and malware getting into the system so I searched for an alternative antivirus /firewall for my computer. I found AVG and have had no issues since. The trouble is my computer was behaving rather slow. I ran the scan disk and defragged. I also I ran a scan from the command prompt screen and it reported I had some corrupt files and gave me the location. So what do I do now. I'm not a computer person and am not tech savvy. Please help. My computer is still slow loading but not as bad as it was.

2. Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

Which scan from command prompt please - the system file check on sfc /scannow

It is unlikely that errors there would result in slow performance, but AVG and a third party Firewall are very likely to

If with Defender and windows firewall you were suffering infections, then your browsing habits may IMHO need review
    There is no AV that will protect you from infections commonly found in such downloads as P2P/Torrents

3. CWB913

CWB913 Thread Starter

I ran the system file checker. This is where it said I had corrupt files. CBS.logwindir\logs\CBS\CBS.log.
    What is IMHO? I went to sites to look for movies or music (Nickelback) to download. Should I uninstall AVG and go back to windows defender?

4. Macboatmaster

In my humble opinion

go back to an admin cmd prompt and copy and paste this

Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

please report results it may appear to hang around the 20 and 80% mark

5. Macboatmaster

note last please I have changed the cmd to be run

6. CWB913

CWB913 Thread Starter

I went to command prompt and copy and pasted as you said. I got the message "elevated permissions required to run DISM. Use an elevated command prompt to complete these tasks".

7. Macboatmaster

if you ran system file check as per your post 3. then you must have run it using an admin cmd prompt, that is what you need now.

right click the white microsoft flag left of taskbar click command prompt admin - which is a cmd prompt with elevated permssions

8. CWB913

CWB913 Thread Starter

Ok. I did as you said and went in with elevated permissions. Copy and pasted the line you sent. The system did what it was supposed to and the result said 20% and stayed there. What now?

9. CWB913

CWB913 Thread Starter

I also removed AVG and all related items with it and restored Windows Defender. When I ran it I got the message it found malware and removed it. Is there anything else I need to check? Will I still have the corrupt files or will they be gone now since I incorporated Windows Defender?

10. Macboatmaster

leave it running until it completes
    it is not supposed to stay there, if you leave it, it will complete
    It uses online resources as indicated by the cmd , do not use the internet whilst it is running

11. CWB913

CWB913 Thread Starter

Ok. I did just as you said. It has completed running. The message said The component store corruption was repaired. The restore operation completed successfully.
    Now everything seems to be ok. I can pull up google search and gmail quickly even more quickly than I could before. What do I need to do now? How do I keep my computer running good?

12. Macboatmaster

go back and run a system file check again please and post the result

I presume you are pleased with that solution

13. CWB913

CWB913 Thread Starter

Ok. I ran SFC again. Message came back--Windows Resource Protection found no integrity violations.

14. Macboatmaster

send me this please

send me please a url of the free speccy download it here and publish as explained
    https://www.piriform.com/speccy

File > Publish Snapshot. This saves your snapshot to our servers and then you can share the link to whoever you like. The person will not need to install Speccy

15. CWB913

CWB913 Thread Starter

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!