1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: slow initial network connection: wireless

Discussion in 'Networking' started by jmc, Oct 15, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jmc

jmc Thread Starter

I have a wireless network, using a D-Link DI-614+ router. The wired PC is homebuilt, and runs Windows 2000 Pro. The laptop is a Fujitsu P1200, runs Win XP Home, and is using a Linksys Wireless-G pccard. My spouse's computer is an Asus, and runs Win 98SE, connects using a D-Link DW-122 USB wireless network adapter.

(I have one other wired computer, a Shuttle SS40G running RedHat 8.1, but it is off until everything else is working correctly)

Here's the scenario: Looks like all is well with the router - it is reporting two wireless connections, both computers have an IP addy that the router provided via DHCP.

The actual wireless connection is happening quickly, but what is really slow is how long it takes the computers to actually "see" each other - it can take between 5-10 minutes after boot before the laptop or the ASUS can see anything but itself on the network. This is the case whether or not the other wireless computer is running or not.

Also, after a few minutes, the network connections are lost between the ASUS and the other two computers - and between the PC and the ASUS. The laptop (winXP) continues to see the Asus machine.

When either wireless client is rebooted, all computers reappear on the network on all machines - after the timelag mentioned above.

What is the problem here, and how do I fix it?

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

3. jmc

jmc Thread Starter

Thank you - NetBEUI is indeed installed on both older Win OSes, but I'd noticed that though NetBIOS is available in XP, NetBEUI is not. Why is that, if it is so obviously needed?

Thanks for the link, I've already downloaded it. Would lack of NetBEUI on the laptop affect other computers (such as the Win98SE Asus) on the network? How, and why?

4. JohnWill

The fragile name resolution scheme that Microsoft uses to resolve the computer names frequently falls down. The result is computers disappearing from Network Neighborhood.

NETBEUI has a much faster recovery time for name resolution, since it broadcasts it's name periodically. Without NETBEUI everytime a new machine joins the network, there is potentially a new master browser election. Space does not permit me to properly describe how this kludge works, suffice to say not very well. :D

It's very cheap to try NETBEUI, and it won't hurt anything. Frequently, it's the silver bullet for name resolution.

5. jmc

jmc Thread Starter

THANK YOU JOHNWILL!

NETBeui was indeed the silver bullet my network needed... not only do all the computers see each other now, but now the two clients can see and access each other's share folders.

Ah, I so love to learn something new. NETBeui, who would have guessed. FYI, it wasn't installed by default on the Win98SE machine, either.

I now have a happy network, and a happy spouse. Life is good.

6. JohnWill

Another antique network protocol convert! We'll get 'em all, just give us time! :D:D:D

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/172087

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice