1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Slow Internet Connection with Vista

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by Wally15, Jun 8, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Wally15

Wally15 Thread Starter

I have had vista on my computer for about 4 months, and my internet connection has worked fine with it. But on Tuesday night started to get really slow response from my adsl connection. I unplugged everything, and reconnected, still the same, ran anti-virus and spyware programs, still the same. My speed is worse than dial-up. downloads are taking forever. I have 1500/256 plan. downloads are around 3 -6 kb per sec. It doesn't matter what page I am on. Rang ISP provider and they tried to tell me that it was the phone line. Checked everything myself, everything is fine. Wanted to charge me $105 just for coming out, so I said that I would work it out for myself. I also have XP installed on my computer as well, so I switched between Vista and XP, and on XP my internet is working fine, getting the speeds that I should. So the problem has to lie with Vista. But I'm not sure why it has worked fine for 4 months and now it doesn't. Hope someone out there can shed some light on this for me.

Wendy:(

2. kama64

kama64

How are you connected to the modem or router?

If you are wired check your Windows updates to make sure there wasn't any driver update for your network card

3. Wally15

Wally15 Thread Starter

Thanks for your reply,
    I am connected with a Siemens Speedstream 4200 modem, which I run through Ethernet,
    My network Card is Realtek RTL8139/810 x Family Fast Ethernet NIC. And I checked the driver update is the 26/01/2007, so there hasn't been a recent update to this driver. I checked Windows updates and I haven't received an update for this device.

4. kama64

kama64

You can try running this command in the command prompt:

netsh interface tcp set global autotuninglevel=disabled

You will need to run cmd as an administrator

So click on the Start button, then type cmd, and press together, ctrl+Shift+Enter, then hit continue and type the command in the dos prompt and reboot

5. uhaligani

uhaligani Guest

Have you recently installed aero? I have a middle range, but effiicient, graphics card, but I find that if I try and use Aero, my computer slows down and my internet connection almost crashes.

6. Wally15

Wally15 Thread Starter

Thanks, I tried what you suggested, but it is still the same

7. Wally15

Wally15 Thread Starter

No I haven't recently installed aero, but when I put Vista on my computer, I upgraded the ram and Graphics card to cope with having Vista on my computer. Have 1.5gb Ram and 256 graphics card

8. kama64

kama64

Try disabling any security suite you have, and check your download speeds

Also try booting in safe mode w/ networking and check your download speeds

9. Wally15

Wally15 Thread Starter

Thanks tried that, I run Eset Nod 32, disabled that, tried turning the Firewall off, ran the speed test, and it was still the same.

10. Wally15

Wally15 Thread Starter

Just tried it in safe mode, but there was no difference, slower than dial-up(n)

11. kama64

kama64

12. Wally15

Wally15 Thread Starter

Yes I have a system restore, have restored it to no avail. My system is one that was built for me from scratch, thanks for the suggestion. Was using the internet on xp earlier, and it was fine.

Wendy

13. uhaligani

uhaligani Guest

Can you connect through Internet Explorer using the 10.1.1.1 address. (Optus) to get to the configuration file? If so, try Changing the user and password, change to "Bridged Optus" save the settings and try to reconnect to opus.

14. Rich-M

Rich-M

From "Run" type in
    "ipconfig /flushdns" and then hit OK
    then try....have you tried resetting modem?

15. Wally15

Wally15 Thread Starter

I have reset the modem, and typing in "ipconfig /flushdns" it comes up that Windows cannot open, make sure you typed the name correctly and try again.
    Thanks anyway

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!