1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Slow internet speed on WiFi

Discussion in 'Networking' started by ledders, Aug 9, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ledders

ledders Thread Starter

My Sony Vaio laptop is experiencing slow internet speed even though the signal level shows as excellent. This is only when using it upstairs, where it is normally used. In the same room as the router it is fine. This has only just starting happening and it was OK anywhere in the house until a couple of days ago. To make it even more confusing my wife's notebook and my iphone work fine on the network in the bedroom. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

2. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Wi-Fi signal strength and speed can be affected by various devices and walls inside a home.

I've requested your thread be moved to the NETWORKING forum so the experts there can assist you.

--------------------------------------------------------

3. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
    It is also possible that a nearby neighbor may have recently added or reconfigured a wireless access point that is now operating on the same or adjacent channel as your wireless access point. Your computer's particular location may make it more sensitive to interference from this second wireless access point.

There are free software utilities available that you can run on a wireless capable computer that will identify what nearby wireless networks it can detect and report their channel number and relative signal strength. Running the software with your wireless access point turned on, will show you the channel number and signal strength. Then turn off your wireless access point and see if another wireless access point is detected on the same or adjacent channel. I like to use a program call inSIDDer and others here may have a different favorite that they can recommend.

4. ledders

ledders Thread Starter

Many thanks for the reply. Could you advise of any suitable (and easy to use) utilities that I could try ? Would it be worth trying an antenna signal booster on my router ?

5. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
  6. ledders

ledders Thread Starter

Many thanks for all the help guys, I've changed the channel number on my router to 11 and, hey presto, speeds back to normal.

7. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
    Glad to hear that you found a solution. You can use the "Mark as Solved" button above your original post to mark this topic as being solved.

Thanks TerryNet for mentioning the Xirrus app. I knew there was another utility besides inSSIDer that a lot of people here recommend but could not think of the name.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1011573

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice