1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Slow-ish transfer speeds over network

Discussion in 'Networking' started by BigTobster, May 8, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BigTobster

BigTobster Thread Starter

Hi

I am transferring some files over my network using the Python SimpleHTTPServer on a Xubuntu box.

Code:
    Code:
    python -m SimpleHTTPServer
    The server is a mediocre, 4-5 year old machine AKA David. I don't have the exact specs to hand but it was bargain bucket in 2009

The client is a big powerful monster of a machine. Big games rig. AKA Goliath.

The router has a theoretical transfer speed of 300Mb/s. It's a TP-Link TL-WR841N.

My actual non-concurrent download speed is ~ 4Mb/s.

This isn't really my area and I was wondering if anyone can explain why this is? All connections are via Ethernet cable. David is connected via Ethernet. Goliath is connected via Ethernet to a Powerline Adapter which in turn is Ethernet connected. Over wireless, I am getting ~1.5Mb/s.

I'm not expecting the full theoretical maximum but surely better than 4Mb/s? Is there anyway to improve this? Why am I getting such a slow connection? I'm interested in the academic side of things here as well as the technical solution (if any) :)

My theory is that my rubbish-y old network card is throttling. Possible?

Thanks

2. Oddba11

Oddba11

First Name:
    Jim
    Several things here. First, the NIC(s) used can affect the speed, even the driver version can have an affect. Second, how each NIC is connected and configured (ie: 10half, 10Full, 100half, 100Full, etc.).

Verify the configuration end to end. Also, the router itself, and in this configuration, the powerline adapter can/are likely further reducing the speed.

Try moving everything to the same room and test. ie: David > short ethernet > router > short ethernet > Goliath

That will give you the best possible results with your current hardware (assuming there aren't any configuration issues).

3. BigTobster

BigTobster Thread Starter

Thanks for the response.

I did as you suggested and then worked backwards.

The powerline adapter was knocking about 20% throughput off the connection. On a straight through was getting only a few MB/s from the routers theoretical maximum :D

On Wireless, the connection was getting battered. Over halved by moving up stairs. Not exactly surprising but still interesting.

A fun exercise is to use wget on a big file and then run around the house with your laptop and watch what happens :)

Working backwards I then ironed out a few issues. Mostly, my issues concerned me misreading MB/s and Mbps :)
    Human failure. The most common and troublesome computer fault!

Interesting to know about the NIC stuff. Thanks for that.

I'm solved :)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1125650

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice