1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Slow loading web pages

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by mreddys10, Mar 27, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mreddys10

mreddys10 Thread Starter

Hi,
    I have a dual core laptop with 2 GB RAM. I share my internet connection with another computer thru a router. There is a huge delay when the pages are loaded on my web browsers. I tried IE7, firefox, netscape, opera and a few other browsers. My connection is not slow at all (download speeds are usually around 500 kbps). Once i click on a link, or type an address, it takes a long time to open, and in the status bar, it shows "Looking up <web address>" for a long time before it changes to "connecting". I even compared it with the other computer on the same network, and its really quick.

What could the problem be?

PS: oh yeah, i use windows firewall, same as the computer i compared it with.

2. awatson

awatson

Sounds like maybe a problem with whatever you're using for a DNS server. Once it stops saying "Looking up web server" do the pages load fast?

3. mreddys10

mreddys10 Thread Starter

yes...they load immediately once it stops saying that. what can i do? i am pretty sure its not the connection's fault because the other computer loads the web pages really quick. I am using firefox right now with the fasterfox plugin. I was able to load this page in 19sec even though i havent deleted my history. how can i fix it (if i can) if its a problem with the DNS server?

4. anisbd

anisbd

Scan your Laptop for Virus and Spyware.

5. mreddys10

mreddys10 Thread Starter

i do scan it every week with avg free/avg antispyware/spyware terminator/spybot s&d/ad-adware (though its uninstalled now, the problem has been there before i had this program itself). I am pretty sure there are no virus or spyware on my laptop. never found any virus, just a couple of spyware that i removed. its an old problem....

6. awatson

awatson

Sounds like what's happening is your browser asks the DNS server for what IP address corresponds to the domain name you're trying to go to, and the DNS server is taking a long time to reply for some reason. Once it does reply, and the browser has an IP to use, it connects and everything goes quickly.

I'd try different DNS servers - one option would be to figure out what the other computer on the network is using, and use the same settings. Another option would be to try using opendns servers (http://www.opendns.com/). There's instructions on the openDNS site explaining how to change your DNS servers, you can use the same process to see what your current DNS settings are.

7. mreddys10

mreddys10 Thread Starter

thanks awatson. my settings were set to automatically detect DNS server address. i have changed this to the one provided on the website and its working absolutely fine. pages are loading immediately. thanks again

8. ilovelorie

ilovelorie

Thanks so much for this. It took me forever to google the right keywords to find the right help. Changed my DNS addresses and now it's back up to speed. Much appreciated.(y)

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/697492

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice