1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Slow MACBOOK ProA1425 EMC2672

Discussion in 'Apple Mac' started by JoeyG, May 15, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. JoeyG

JoeyG Thread Starter

Hello, I am a total Newbie to MACs, any advice on how to install Malwarebytes (or an equivalent virus remover of mac,) and is there a MAC option equivalent to "MSCONFIG" so I may be able to shutdown some automatic programs? Thanks in advance!

2. Headrush

Headrush

Windows and OS X are designed different and you don't really need to shutdown services like you did with MSCONFIG in Windows. It's not a newbie friendly task and it's highly unlikely you'll see any difference on your model MacBook.

Here a re a few malware programs for OS X: http://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/best-free-antivirus-software-for-mac/2/

If you Mac is slow, how full is your hard drive?
    That model comes with 8GB of RAM so I wouldn't think it was a memory issue.

If you run activity monitor, can you post the disk free space and page outs from the memory tab?

3. JoeyG

JoeyG Thread Starter

Thanks For the quick response,

(Another detail I am A Windows tech. attempting to clean up a friends MAC, first time really working on a MAC)

Here are the details I got from Activity Monitor/Memory tab , (I did not see the free disk space exactly, please forgive my MAC ignorance)

In the memory section of the tab I see the following:

Physical Memory: 8.00 GB

Memory Used: 6.93 GB (that's a lot being used, I see various programs "Detox reporter", "MacKeeper" using the most memory over 100MB)

Virtual Memory: 9.00 GB
    Swap Used: 210.MB

Memory Pressure: Full green bar

App Memory: 5.18 GB
    File Cache: 506.8 MB
    Wired Memory: 1,002.7MB
    Compressed: 324.0 MB

Under The "Disk" Tab:

reads In: 223,656
    Writes Out: 229,241
    reads in/sec: 0
    writes out/sec: 6 (in red)

Data Read: 6.34GB
    Data Written: 9.63GB
    Data Read/Sec: 0
    Data Written/Sec: 0

Thanks Again

4. Headrush

Headrush

What version of OS X ?

The page ins/outs should be on the memory page.

First thing I would do would be to remove mac keeper.

PS: That is a good thing more memory being used in OS X.

5. JoeyG

JoeyG Thread Starter

Thanks,

version is OS X Yosemite 10.10

Still cannot find "Page Ins/outs" I apologize.. I uninstalled "Mackeeper"

6. JoeyG

JoeyG Thread Starter

Also, he has a "Detox" program on here that he paid for.. Does that program sound legit to you?

7. JoeyG

JoeyG Thread Starter

I'm also trying to add another browser on here for him other than just Safari, (in case Safari gets corrupted he will have another way to surf), Do you have any recommendations?, is Chrome, or Mozilla compatible with MAC?, I found one site but it was a virus site, grrrr... Thanks Again!

8. Headrush

Headrush

Most of those 3rd party "clean my Mac" programs are rubbish IMHO.

Doesn't hurt to have multiple browsers: You can get Firefox here: https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/new/
    and Google Chrome here: http://www.google.com/chrome/

What I do is uninstall Adobe Flash for OS X, and use Safari for most of my browsing.
    For the few sites that require Flash only, I use Google Chrome which has a version of Flash embedded.

Edit: Sorry about the page outs thing, Apple removed it from latest OS X and uses Memory Pressure now.
    You can still get Page Outs by opening Applications/Utilities/Terminal and typing
    Code:
    vm_stat
    Edit 2: Link from Apple for understanding memory: https://support.apple.com/en-ca/HT201464

Last edited: May 18, 2015
  9. JoeyG

JoeyG Thread Starter

Thanks! I found 15 viruses with Avast, I installed chrome with no problems, but Firefox keeps giving me this ( attached picture) problem, is there a setting I can adjust! THANKS for all your help too bud! (not sure if pic uploaded correctly but it says"untrusted site no matter which legit site I go too.. Thx

10. Headrush

Headrush

No the picture didn't attached.
    You might what to check Firefox preferences for certificates that are installed and shouldn't be.
    You can delete them all, sites that need them should re-download as needed.

I'm sure Avast didn't find 15 viruses, but did find what they consider malware.
    (Most of those programs count cookies saved by the browsers too.)

11. JoeyG

JoeyG Thread Starter

Ok, I can't seem to refresh Mozilla I tried multiple times.. I looked at certificates and there are hundreds to delete, and it will only let me do one at a time... should I try to totally trash Mozilla?, and start fresh? is there a way to do that other than just dragging Mozilla to the recycling bin?

12. Headrush

Headrush

Throwing Firefox in the trash won't erase them.

Go to address about:support in Firefox.
    Click the button beside Profile folder.
    Delete the file cert8.db in the folder that appears in the Finder window that opens in the trash and than restart Firefox.

Last edited: May 18, 2015
  13. JoeyG

JoeyG Thread Starter

Thanks!, I followed that and it still will not clear the error(s).. I will Just uninstall Mozilla altogether and leave it that way.. It is running extremely smooth now though with Safari, and Chrome.. I will just have him use these two browsers for now.. Thank You So Much for your time, and Knowledge, you've helped me a great deal, Much Appreciation to you!

THANKS AGAIN!!!

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1148306

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice