Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Solved: Slow reading from P-ATA drive on ASUS P5Q SE

2K views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  bman2k9 
#1 ·
I have trouble to get speed on my P-ATA drive (Hitachi Deskstar 160GB, or Maxtor 300 GB) connected to my motherboard P-ATA IDE-channel. Asus support can not help me resolve this, so I rely on this forum now :)

Brief system spec:
ASUS P5Q SE
Kingston 2x1GB memory DDR
SATA drive (for OS) Seagate Barracuda.
Win XP, SP3

The SATA drive works fine, fast and show up in BIOS setting.
The P-ATA DVD-RW Samsung also works fine, for both reading and writing. This is connected as Master.
The P-ATA HDD, slave, however is extremely slow, 1GB file transfer takes 15 minutes at least.
Their is no setting available in BIOS for the P-ATA devices, except for determining boot sequence.
It does not help to disconnect the SATA, or to change to master, or to re-format, or to change to my Maxtor disc.

BTW, I tried to do a clean installation of Windows7 on the P-ATA, which includes doing a format, but the drive was slow through the entire installation process and after 1hr copying files from the DVD, I gave up. So apparantly, even though no OS is installed, the drive is painfully slow.

Anyone who can help me to investigate this further and resolve?

Thanks
JOhan

See less See more
#2 ·
I would suggest this go to start > right click my computer > Manage > then click device manager > find your Ide controller > right click primary and secondary IDE channel > Properties > and verify that they are in dma mode. If this doesn't work i suggest running a check disk on the drive.

#3 ·
Thanks.
The device was actually in PIO mode. I chose to reinstall controller for the IDE ander after reboot the device was in U-DMA 6. However, strange enough, after a few minutes doing file copy from the HDD, the device was back in PIO "on the fly". So apparently, the device start off well, but enter PIO after a while? Why is this?

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.