Solved: Slow Sound after going on line

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

altima

I'm running Win XP, AMD2600+ chip, 519MB Ram, 128 Video Ram and my sound card is 128 of something. I can play audio CDs perfectly in my CD ROM draw. WMP 10 runs fine with perfect sound until I go on line either to Juno.com or Internet Explorer. Once I get connected on line and I'm playing a audio CD, if I stop the audio CD then resume the playing of the CD, the sound is reduced to half speed. The speech quality is extremely slow and slurred. No adjustments to anything in WMP can speed up the sound quality. If I drop off from Juno or Internet Explorer, the sound and its great quality are re-established. I checked the Device Manager and everything seems to look good. I see no conflicts. My audio codec is on IRQ=21 and it is sharing that interrrupt with a USB port. I tried turning each device off separately but nothing improves. I compared my other older computer to my newer computer, actually looking at all resources and I/O placements and I found a conflict on my older computer but it plays all sound features without any problems. If I go on line only, and try to listen to a news clip the sound problem is always there. Juno is version 5, an old one but it gives me no other problems. I play FS2004, a heavy program and the sound is just great until I go on line (for test purposes only) then I duplicate my problem. Looking for any suggestions.

So this only occurs when you go to juno.com or open IE. How do you connect to the internet?

I went to the juno.com web site, they are using some kind of compression software to make your surfing faster, that is what is effecting your sound.

altima

AKA Arizona said:
So this only occurs when you go to juno.com or open IE. How do you connect to the internet?

I went to the juno.com web site, they are using some kind of compression software to make your surfing faster, that is what is effecting your sound.
Thanks for responding, AKA Arizona!
I use a 56k dial up modem, a Intel[R]537 (which operates usually about 46.6K) located on COM3, showing no conflicts. Also, the Memory Range is @ EE000000-EE000FFF, I/O C000-COFF and IRQ is @ 17. FIFO Buffers, transmit and receive are set @ highest levels.
My Juno is called Platinum, the very basic type, not speed band.

altima

It's hard for me to believe that I'm the only one in the world with this problem but I thank you for your expertise, AKA.

altima

AKA Arizona, I haven't rid myself of Juno...yet. I've been comparing my old Gateway computer (2001) which runs Windows Me and handles Juno without any sound problems to my newer computer (2004) running XP. The slow, slurred sound problem which I described and you attributed to the filters at Juno makes me wonder why the old Gateway 1.1G AMD, 384 Ram, MX400-64 video and a Soundblaster card can work perfectly and my newer machine an Eureka, Pent 4 AMD K7, 512 RAM, Fx5200 Force Ge and a Nvidia 128 nForce can't overcome this sound issue. Juno tells me if I can operate the old machine from the same telephone line without any trouble, I should be able to do the same with a newer, faster, more powderful machine. I'm inclined to agree with Juno and this points the finger at my machine. Since we are talking about "Windows", and I respect your opinion, is there anything else you might suggest other than changing IPs?
Also, I have an interesting story for your fellow members. I recently installed Defender Pro anti virus program on my old Gateway only to discover it didn't have an anti spyware feature so I removed it with the intention of using Fix It 6. Immediately upon removing Defender, my Gateway crashed with over 500 folders and files cross-linked. Almost total destruction of my machine. I tried fixing all these files with the Me Restoration discs. Unable to do this, I was forced to dump all contents of the computer. After 4 days, I restored all with success except Juno. I was able to get back to Juno's email system okay but I could never get back to the Web side. Juno could only have me download a Juno check tool which constantly changed its observations of my computer. Finally, I removed Juno and reinstalled it for the second time only to be told by warning windows that I had already imported the account. Same problem getting to the Web existed. With the Juno program removed by Add/Rem, I did a search typing in "juno". One file came back came, juno.ini. I deleted this file and with my Juno disc, reinstalled Juno and the problem disappeared. My point is that even though programs are properly removed, some files might exist even though we think there gone. To me this was a unique discovery because the Juno installation program was locking onto that old ini. file.

altima

SLOW SOUND TROUBLE FIXED!! I haven't been back to the Techguy site since July 2005 because AKA Arizona believed I had a Juno or an IE problem. I did not want to disagree or show any disrespect with a distinguished member of the site. I continued to study and learn more about computers and luckily today I found a site which provided an update driver for my Nvidia sound card. The driver was running ver 5.10.2917.0. Believing that only Nvidia could provide a newer driver, I remained in limbo but from Realtek AC97, their site provded via download 5.10.5970 and this fixed all sound troubles. My audio is enhanced and normal.
Here's wishing all site members a Merry Christmas and happy holidays. ALTIMA

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online