1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Slow upload speeds

Discussion in 'Networking' started by ACA529, Aug 15, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ACA529

ACA529 Thread Starter

Early this morning (around 1 AM) my upload speeds were cut severely.

Here's my speed test results:
    [​IMG]

I've had this same problem before so I called my ISP and aksed them about it and they said they'd do some tests over there.

What could have caused this twice? It's only my connection because none of my friends in the area seem to be having problems and they didn't get any calls about it.

P.S.: My upload speeds are usually over 700 KB/s on speedtest.net -- and I've tried using different servers.

Thanks,
    AC

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Register at DSLReports and run their line quality tests. Post a link to the results here.

3. ACA529

ACA529 Thread Starter

Hi John :),

I will do that even if it takes half an hour.. my internet is extremely slow right now.

I gave my ISP a second ring and they said that they found the problem and they are working on fixing it... I hope that it gets fixed soon because I'm paying bloody $70/MONTH BUNDLED!!! to get a crapload of downtime and major lag spikes when playing games online. :( :( :(

4. JohnWill

I figured it was an ISP issue, I was just looking for confirmation. ;)

5. ACA529

ACA529 Thread Starter

Thanks for your reply. I'm thinking that this is really unexceptable... I've been having this problem for almost 48 hours and have received no calls from my ISP.

I have had this same problem before, and I know for a fact that it is on their end.

I have the highest package they offer and I think I should get some compensation, don't you? :)

6. jmwills

jmwills

Power down everything and sequence them back up starting with the modem.

7. ACA529

ACA529 Thread Starter

Hi,

Thanks for the suggestion. I've already done that several times and I will try again now.

Ok, no go still. I called my ISP back and they said they will be sending someone out to have a look at the "D Mark" today. No clue what that means.

8. JohnWill

Are you absolutely sure it's your ISP, and not your interior wiring? If you have DSL, you may have internal wiring issues with the phone lines and/or filters. Here's my fix for DSL wiring.

Purchase a DSL splitter and install it at the telco service entrance. Run a direct line from the DSL port on the splitter directly to the DSL modem. Connect all of the other phone instruments to the telephone output of the DSL splitter. All of the DSL analog side wiring should be CAT3 or better twisted pair from the telco service entrance to the DSL/ADSL modem. You can use one of the twisted pairs in CAT5 cable if you have that on hand.

This is as good as it gets for DSL installations, and will usually solve in-house wiring issues.

Here's a good detailed description of the process: DSL Wiring Upgrade Tutorial

9. ACA529

ACA529 Thread Starter

Fixing the connections is all up to my ISP. It's not like Verizon DSL where you have to do everything from installation to maintenance. My ISP thinks it's nothing to do with the wiring in the house, but something to do with the wiring outside.

Thanks for the tips, I will keep them in mind.

10. JohnWill

I suspect that any ISP doesn't fix your interior wiring. However, if you're sure it's the ISP's wiring, then it's also up to them to fix it.

11. jmwills

jmwills

With that download speed, I fail to see how internal wiring could be affecting this.

12. ACA529

ACA529 Thread Starter

They fixed the problem this morning. Something was wrong on the outside.

No idea what would have caused this.

Thanks for your replies. :)

13. JohnWill

Because it's bi-directional. However, as you can see in this case, it wasn't the interior wiring.

14. JohnWill

You can mark your own threads solved using the thread tools at the top of the page in the upper right corner.© :)

15. jmwills

jmwills

True if he had been given a download speed of 10 mbps the uplink should have slowed down to but to have been that low.......too many electrons going too many places.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/610165

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice