1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: slow Win XP reboot

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by jdevine, Jul 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jdevine

jdevine Thread Starter

when I reboot Win XP on my HP a1540n, I always have to choose between the normal start and configuring the BIOS. I rarely want to do this, while this delays the reboot (possibly for hours, if I walk away from the PC). How do I change this so that it goes directly without giving me this choice (as it used to do)?
    Jim

2. Goku

Goku

Can you please a copy of your BOOT.INI file.I will tell you what to do next.To locate your BOOT.INI file,do the following:-

1)Right Click on My Computer and select Properties.
    2)Move to the Advanced tab.
    3)In the Startup and Recovery section,select Settings.
    4)Click on the Edit button.

A Notepad file will open up.Copy the contents of the files and post them here.I shall give you further instructions.Good Luck.

3. Rich-M

Rich-M

Did you replace a piece of hardware like a hard drive? Sounds like it just wants you to check bios settings and once you do that this will stop.

4. jdevine

jdevine Thread Starter

I haven't introduced any new hardware to this PC except various devices that plug in using the USB pprts/

My boot.ini is as follows:

[boot loader]
    timeout=15
    default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
    [operating systems]
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Windows XP Media Center Edition"

5. Goku

Goku

Well,all seems correct then where do you get the option of booting into BIOS?It is a weird case since I have heard about 2 OS in the selection menu not a BIOS option in the menu.Probably someone else could help you.However,you can edit the following line:-

timeout=00.

But first backup your BOOT.INI file in case something goes wrong.To know how to back up BOOT.INI,go here

Reboot and see if it helps.Good Luck.:)

6. jdevine

jdevine Thread Starter

thanks. I changed the timeout to "timeout=00" and it may have speeded the boot process up, but it still has the pause asking me if I want to edit the BIOS or not.

it goes through a screen where HP tells me that if I want to edit the BIOS, that I should type <f2> (I think). That screen quickly disappears without my intervention. It is replaced by a choice: <f1> for edit BIOS or <f2> to start normally. (I may have reversed these button names.)

After hitting <f2>, used to be that it next asked me if I wanted to start Windows Media Center or "Microsoft Windows Recovery Console" but I edited boot.ini to fix that.

Is there some other script somewhere that controls the boot process before boot.ini takes over?

7. kirkmichelle80

kirkmichelle80

Would it be possible to do a System Restore to a date before this problem started?

8. Jack Hackett

Jack Hackett

Sounds like your BIOS settings dont match your hardware, the BIOS battery may not have enough power to retain these settings and they have reverted to defaults.
    If this is the case a new BIOS battery is called for.

Go into the BIOS and set it up as per your installed hardware, save and exit to reboot.
    If the battery does turn out to be bad it is very likely that the settings you have just set wil be lost, maybe not straight away but when you boot the PC after it's been off for a few hours.

Replacing the BIOS battery is easy enough
    http://www.liverepair.com/encyclopedia/articles/cmosreplace.asp

9. jdevine

jdevine Thread Starter

the problem started quite awhile ago and I don't want to reverse all of the changes since then. Also, isn't it possible that the problem is not part of Windows, but some pre-Windows layer that boots first?

10. jdevine

jdevine Thread Starter

The PC seems much too new to have problems with the battery.

11. pcrepairguy

pcrepairguy

Try this:

Go into the BIOS and set it to Default Settings. Save that and see if it helps.

12. jdevine

jdevine Thread Starter

thanks! going back to the default setup configuration did the trick. Now, I have to see what in heck I did in the first place to cause this problem (and why I have intermittent problems with both browsers).
    Jim:)

13. Goku

Goku

Please mark the thread Solved using it from the Thread Tools link on the top of this page.Good Luck.:)

14. jdevine

jdevine Thread Starter

15. Goku

Goku

Well, I don't remember it. See the time of your post and mine. If you are sure that you did mark the thread Solved before I viewed it, then I must have copied the message twice as I must have been posting the same message in a different forum. If this is the case, then sorry for the inconvenience.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/590601

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice