Solved: Sluggish Computer

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

koroshb

Hello all! I have an HP G62 340US laptop upgraded to Win 7 Ultimate (runs very fast - normally). I also bought a brand new 1.5 TB desktop drive (Seagate) from Fry's Electronics @ San Diego. When I connected the two to back up my stuff (the first time the desktop drives been used), me computer complied for the first 20 GB's, and then everything slowed down to a crawl. I disconnected the DD (desktop drive), and restarted the computer. It was still extremely sluggish even w/out the DD attached. I've run a virus scan (paid AVG), I've fixed registry errors (paid AVG Tuneup), and nothing helps.

A couple of things that I've noticed in the past with mine:

1) Sometimes the cable can cause slowness (I had a 320GB that slowed everything down until I switched out to a new cable)
2) Remote Differential Compression -

Remote Differential Compression: measures the changes in files over a network to transfer deltas with minimal bandwidth rather than transferring an entire file that has previously been moved. Because it constantly checks for file changes, this service can hinder system performance.

To disable this service:

Open Control Panel
Switch to Classic View
Select Program Features
Choose Turn Windows features on and off
Scroll down and uncheck Remote Differential Compression

See attached article: http://www.eggheadcafe.com/tutorial...0ff4/how-to-make-windows-7-lean-and-mean.aspx

koroshb

Thank you so much! This worked great! I didn't have to change the cable though (USB 3.0). Thank you so much for your help!

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online