1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Sluggish Computer

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by koroshb, Nov 27, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. koroshb

koroshb Thread Starter

Hello all! I have an HP G62 340US laptop upgraded to Win 7 Ultimate (runs very fast - normally). I also bought a brand new 1.5 TB desktop drive (Seagate) from Fry's Electronics @ San Diego. When I connected the two to back up my stuff (the first time the desktop drives been used), me computer complied for the first 20 GB's, and then everything slowed down to a crawl. I disconnected the DD (desktop drive), and restarted the computer. It was still extremely sluggish even w/out the DD attached. I've run a virus scan (paid AVG), I've fixed registry errors (paid AVG Tuneup), and nothing helps.

2. adamspe

adamspe

A couple of things that I've noticed in the past with mine:

1) Sometimes the cable can cause slowness (I had a 320GB that slowed everything down until I switched out to a new cable)
    2) Remote Differential Compression -

Remote Differential Compression: measures the changes in files over a network to transfer deltas with minimal bandwidth rather than transferring an entire file that has previously been moved. Because it constantly checks for file changes, this service can hinder system performance.

To disable this service:

Open Control Panel
    Switch to Classic View
    Select Program Features
    Choose Turn Windows features on and off
    Scroll down and uncheck Remote Differential Compression

See attached article: http://www.eggheadcafe.com/tutorial...0ff4/how-to-make-windows-7-lean-and-mean.aspx

3. koroshb

koroshb Thread Starter

I'll try it right now.. report in a few minutes...

4. koroshb

koroshb Thread Starter

Thank you so much! This worked great! I didn't have to change the cable though (USB 3.0). Thank you so much for your help!

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!