Solved: sluggish computer

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

seamanken

Hi I have a Toshiba Tecra 8100 (pentium II, 597Mhz, 128 Ram 9.36GB hard drive with 3.90GB free) I am running XP Home 2003 and offfice 2003 and Norton Internet Security 2006. the problem is my computer is slow to react is this software to much for it or could it be something else.

Byteman

Gone but Never Forgotten
Hi, Specs are pretty low for what you have running. Did the slowdown come along gradually, or could you say it was after one or the other programs were installed? Have you done a thorough antivirus and antispyware check?

Then again, the problem may be hardware related- fans going, gone...heat...video...power supply, etc. Inside cleaned of dust lately?

If she's clean as can be in all respects- might be too much loading when you start up. Norton programs are intensive especially running with what you have.

Did you have a version of any Norton products installed when you went to NIS 06? I'm headed to sleep so will check on this in the morning...

seamanken

Byteman said:
Hi, Specs are pretty low for what you have running. Did the slowdown come along gradually, or could you say it was after one or the other programs were installed? Have you done a thorough antivirus and antispyware check?

Then again, the problem may be hardware related- fans going, gone...heat...video...power supply, etc. Inside cleaned of dust lately?

If she's clean as can be in all respects- might be too much loading when you start up. Norton programs are intensive especially running with what you have.

Did you have a version of any Norton products installed when you went to NIS 06? I'm headed to sleep so will check on this in the morning...
I was running norton antivirus 03. it might well be a heat problem it gets pretty warm I also run microsoft antispyware forgot that one I will do what you suggest about cleaning as well thank you

your specs are barely above wat needed probly need to upgrade your ram and that would speed it up alot.

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
You've got a computer with a slow processor and very little RAM and running 3 programs(Windows XP, Office 2003, and Norton) that require a speedy processor and lots of RAM, and you're wondering why your computer is so sluggish?

According to this site, your computer is capable of using up to 512 MB of RAM. You definitely need to add more RAM if you plan to run those programs in your computer.

Reducing the number of programs running in the background, reducing the amount of graphic "eye candy", and getting rid of the buildup of temp/junk files and any spyware will go a long ways towards improving performance in your computer.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online