1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: "Sluggish Mouse"?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by texastoy4her, Apr 15, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. texastoy4her

texastoy4her Thread Starter

Hi,

About a week, week and a half ago I started noticeing my mouse would get sluggish.
    When moveing the mouse and watching it on the screen, I could move it really fast on the pad but on the screen and would not go as fast.
    It will "hang" for a split second then move a little bit then hang again and so on

When this happens alot of times I will look at the task manager and on the performance tab it will show the cpu usage of 100%.

Then today I went to load a game on pogo.com and it loaded correctly I could see the game and everything.

But when I went to click start..i would just here a "bonk". Like you would if you had just done an update and the little box thats ask to restart now or later was showing...if you tried doing something else when that restart box was open. Thats the type of sound I heard.

Even if I tried to close out the window nothing would happen. Just the same sound.
    I opened the task manager and tried ending the process but then everything froze.

After about a min or so, everything closed. task manager and all.

Now my task bar is visible, even though I have hide task bar checked.

I have ran ad aware, spybot, and microsoft antispyware. Removed/fixed anything any of those found.

Have also update spyware blaster.

Any one have any ideas?

Would be greatly appreciated

2. bearone2

bearone2 Banned

take the cover off the back, remove the ball and clean the lint off the rails the ball rides on.

3. BTS '76

BTS '76

sounds like you have some background programs running constantly, causes your CPU to use all it's resources, and making your mouse hesitate. click start | run | type in msconfig and click enter, then click on the startup tab. If any programs listed that you don't recognize, to a quick search the file name and see if you need it, if not, un-tick the check box and restart your pc.

4. texastoy4her

Guess I should have specified a little better lol.

I have a wireless mouse. No ball or anything to clean.

As for the startup items. I reall have no clue what should or shouldnt be there. :eek:

I did go ahead and looked at a couple of the items and removed them from the start up its just others im not that sure of.

I notice that there are 2 items listed that dont have any type of discription in the "startup" column or in the "command" column.

Only thing listed for a discription of these items is in the "location" column and it doesnt show everything for the items.

Just says "HKLM\SOFATEWARE\MICROSOFT\WINDOWS\CURRENTVER..."

5. valis

valis Moderator

do as bearone says....hit control alt delete, hit the processes tab, and then sort by processes. Scroll down and report as to what is taking up all the process speed.

v

6. texastoy4her

these are all the processes running right now.

explorer.exe
    ypager.exe
    pcmservice.exe
    igfxpers.exe
    hkcmd.exe
    firfox.exe
    taskmgr.exe
    opscan.exe
    tfswctrl.exe
    ccapp.exe
    gcasdtserv.exe....from here up are all user name of mine...the rest are either local service..system or network service

svchost.exe
    wdfmgr.exe
    alg.exe
    svchost.exe
    svchost.exe
    system idle process
    system
    lexbces.exe
    spoolsv.exe
    lexpps.exe
    smss.exe
    csrss.exe
    winlogon.exe
    services.exe
    lsass.exe
    svchost.exe
    alushedulersvc
    svchost.exe
    ewidoctrl.exe
    navapsvc.exe
    svchost.exe
    ccproxy.exe
    symkcsvc.exe
    ccsetmgr.ece
    issvc.exe
    sndsrvc.exe
    spbbcs.ece
    ccevtmgr.exe

7. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

I picked up a Wireless MS mouse, fortunately free from their "company store", installed it and uninstalled it an hour later.

It would do just that, with fresh batteries and everything.

It's likely a problem with the signal strength.

Check to see if the Control Panel mouse utility has a trouble shooting mode. Verify the batteries are fresh, and that the location of the receiver is not a problem -- try moving it as close to the mouse as possible. Don't put it on the computer case.

The mouse should probably have an option in its software to force change the frequency on which it operates -- try that.

8. telecom69

telecom69 Gone but never forgotten

change the batteries,these symptoms generally appear when they are getting low .....make sure you click the connect button when you have done so .....

9. bearone2

bearone2 Banned

"never mind", as gilda radner used to say.

the only thing i have loading on startup is symantec anti-virus.:cool:

10. texastoy4her

I dont think its the batteries but I went ahead and changed them just to be sure.

I've had this mouse for over a year and haven't had a problem with it until the last week or so.
    The receiver is in the same place it's always been. It's on the top of my computer desk and the tower is underneath.

I changed the frequency also and now it will just take time to tell whether that was the problem or not.

It doesn't act up all the time..just occasionally.

The mouse is a logitech.

Also I meant to say this in my first post also but forgot.

When the mouse starts acting up lately. Say I want to left click and hold to drag and copy. Well when the mouse messes up...i can left click and hold..drag over what I want to copy...and then release.
    Only thing is, is after I release..say I go to do something else...the mouse acts like I still have the left click held down.

Have moved icons and so forth by accident cause of this lol.

Also...I got my task bar to go down lol. So that part is solved.

11. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

If you have other wireless devices, such as a joystick or modem, they can change frequencies without any user interaction in some cases. This could cause a conflict. I imagine cordless phones could be an issue too.

12. texastoy4her

No other wireless devices for the computer

Just the mouse.

Do have cordless phones so guess i will have to watch having them in here lol.

13. valis

valis Moderator

still seems like something is chewing up some processing speed. Were there any large number, percenatage wise, on the task manager, process tab?

v

14. texastoy4her

yes there were but dont remember what they were at that time.

right now...gcasdtserv.exe is using 12556

ccapp.exe is using 33404 ypage is using 40956

explorer.exe is using 20216

firefox is using 28420

mainclient.exe is using 13056

and svchost is using 22844

15. texastoy4her

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/459444