1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: SM Bus Controller

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by crxsi71, Jan 9, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. crxsi71

crxsi71 Thread Starter

Upon start-up of my Win XP machine i get a found new hardware message with request to download drivers. I say yes to no avail and this is the Device instance ID : PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2930&SUBSYS_5001458&REV_02\3&13C0B0C5&0&FB I. In device Manager there is the big yellow ? with other devices next to it when expanded says SM Bus Controller. Location is PCI bus 0,device 31, function 3. I did a google search also to no avail. Any assistance would be appreciated. Thank You in advance.

2. valis

valis Moderator

3. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Your computer has an Intel chipset.

Go here to download and save the infinst_autol.exe file.

Close all open windows first, then double-click it to start the install process.

Restart the computer if prompted to.

------------------------------------------------------------

4. crxsi71

crxsi71 Thread Starter

Thank you both very much I am a self taught work in progress computer guy and I appreciate the speed at which this thread was responded to. I downloaded the tool b/c i wanted to see if it would update more than the driver I needed for the SM Bus controller and it did a great job of updating everything. I also went to the pci database and found the specific item I needed for the purpose of learning. I am a flooring and carpentry guy who loves to learn and I have been messing around with computers for along time but I have just recently had the time money and new machine to explore with this stuff further than just the "I know how to use windows stuff". I have recently built 2 linux machines and have been messing around with dd-wrt on some old routers. Also been watching some HAK5 videos on breaking some wap passwords using cowpatty and the such. I have also been trying to learn how to use cmd prompt in Ubuntu and tried to d/l Debian to disk and install it on one of my Ubuntu machines to no avail, not sure what I'm doing wrong other than I read that Debian won't work on some older machines. Well thanks again and it worked so good job.

5. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
  6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!