1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: SM Bus Controller

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by 48x, Feb 10, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. 48x

48x Thread Starter

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
    OS Version: Microsoft® Windows Vista™ Home Premium, Service Pack 1, 64 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Pentium(R) Dual CPU E2200 @ 2.20GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 15 Stepping 13
    Processor Count: 2
    RAM: 4084 Mb
    Graphics Card: Intel(R) G33/G31 Express Chipset Family, 320 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 295204 MB, Free - 203676 MB; D: Total - 9999 MB, Free - 2782 MB;
    Motherboard: Dell Inc., 0RY007
    Antivirus: Norton 360, Updated and Enabled
    I have an entry in my device manager called SM bus controller under system devices and it has a yellow exclaimation mark next to it.

It says "The drivers for this device are not installed. (Code 28)", but my computer works perfectly?

Should I locate the drives and install them? or are they needed. Thanks!

2. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    What's the model name and model number of that Dell?

What's the 7-character "service tag" number on the sticker?

-----------------------------------------------------------

Why hasn't Windows Vista Home Premium SP1(64-bit) been upgraded to SP2 - which was released in May 2009?

Did you just do an install of that operating system in that Dell?

------------------------------------------------------------

3. 48x

48x Thread Starter

Yes I did a clean reinstall. I did go to dell downloads and install chipset which fixed my SM bus controller. And since you borught it to my attention that I still have (service pack 1) I need to go microsoft and get latest service pack? Iam a rookie at this and learning on the fly. Thank you for your response. Service Tag 5YSCHG1 Inspiron 530s

4. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    According to that service tag number, here is the support and downloads site that's specific only to your Dell Inspiron 530s desktop.

I suggest that you add and save this site in your browser favorites/bookmarks list so you can readily refer to it when needed.

------------------------------------------------------------

Use the link that I previously provided you with so you can download and save the SP2 upgrade.

After it's downloaded and saved, close all open windows first, then install it.

Depending on the speed of your computer and what needs to be upgraded, the process may take an hour or more.

After it's upgraded to SP2, you need to do a scan at Windows Update because there will be numerous post-SP2 important/recommended updates to install afterwards.

The goal is to get Windows Vista up-to-date before you start loading a bunch of programs and extras in that computer.

-------------------------------------------------------------

5. 48x

48x Thread Starter

I clicked your link and updated to service pack 2. Then I clicked start/all programs/windows update, it showed 80 updates to install and completed that. I don't know what you me by do a windows scan for updates? I sincerly appriciate your help you are very knowledgable. Please advise me of any thing else you may think of I should do, being on a clean install.
    Again THANK YOU!

6. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    I'm glad to hear you got the SP2 upgrade installed and got the post-SP2 important/recommended updates installed. (y)

---------------------------------------------------------

You're using Norton 360?

What other security-related programs do you have installed?

----------------------------------------------------------

7. 48x

48x Thread Starter

None that I have installed. Only what may be included in Windows as far as security!

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1089016

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice