Solved: Small doubt about my optical drive

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

ConsumingHatred

Well, I'm using a brand new HP Pavilion DV2225la (yes, I live in a spanish speaking country) and I'm a bit curious regarding my optical drive. Even though I contacted a HP technician about it, I'm not so sure I should believe him considering they have to speak wonders of HP first of all and then be honest second. Haha. Well my doubt is regarding how delicate it may or may not be.

See, I was suggested I keep my burning to a limited and painful 2 CDs per day because the optical drive of laptops are supposedly very delicate and may damage prematurely. I was hoping someone might be able to give me a straight-forward and honest answer regarding what precautions I should take with my optical drive.

Thank you for your time and patience.

Hey,

Sounds like a load of none-sense to me. Having said that though, desktop computers will probably always be more capable of doing the same job a Laptop can - none-the-less i think he is telling you a little white lie. I'm no expert when it comes to Laptops, but what this guy is saying is basically if you buy a Laptop and wish to burn, you gotta keep it to a minimum?

They would not put them in Laptops, though if they did it would probably come with some sort of warning about how fragile the thing is. He's definately waffling.

Nick.

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
That's total nonsense. The laser that is used in a laptop drive is the same as in a desktop drive. I can't say that laptop drives are a rugged as desktop drives, but they aren't all that fragile either. They're also not that expensive to replace as a rule, so just use it.

ConsumingHatred

Ah, I was misinterpreted, I was suggested by someone else to keep my burning to a minimum. The HP technician said that it wasn't true and that I could use my optical drive as many times as I pleased.

Again, thank you both for your help.

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
You can mark your own threads solved using the thread tools at the upper right of the screen.© :)

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online