1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Small Symbol w/File Name Icon in Windows Explorer

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by CDobyns, Jan 14, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. CDobyns

CDobyns Thread Starter

I'm running WindowsXP Professional on a Dell Latitude D600, and I recently swapped out my laptop base unit, due to a failure with the prior unit. I successfully swapped over all the peripherals from my old laptop unit (screen, drives, Wi-Fi, battery, etc.) and the laptop started up normally, with no problems.

While not a problem, I just now noticed that on Windows Explorer, under [file] Name column, I see that for everyone of the files listed, there a very small "green checkmark" or a "yellow exclamation mark" in the lower right-hand corner of the symbol that designates the file type (Word, Excel, PDF, etc.). I've never seen that under Windows Explorer before, working this laptop - or any computer for that matter.

Anybody have an explanation for the mysterious symbols that have shown up, all of a sudden? Thanks.

2. Phantom010

Phantom010 Trusted Advisor

Can you post a screenshot?

3. Tufenuf

Tufenuf

4. CDobyns

CDobyns Thread Starter

Sure. It's a little small, but does this help any?

[​IMG]

5. Phantom010

Phantom010 Trusted Advisor

Never seen that before. Have you read Tufenuf's question?

6. Tufenuf

Tufenuf

Did you see my Reply #3 regarding if you use MozyHome to backup files?

Here's the solution if you do.

I went to the Options and checked "Disable icon overlays in Windows Explorer" and the checkmarks, exclamation points disappeared. This is from the link I posted.

http://forums.speedguide.net/showthread.php?t=246654

Tufenuf

7. CDobyns

CDobyns Thread Starter

Sorry, a little "time lapse" between reading and posting the screenshot - but I've got it now. And yes, I use Mozy as a file backup and I know it co-opts Windows Explorer as some sort of virtual drive, as an option to restore files from the backup set. So, I'll assume the checkmark is an indication that the file has been "pinged" and is (or isn't) included in the backup set.

I'm marking this one Solved. Thanks!

8. Tufenuf

Tufenuf

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/894073

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice