1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: smc modem/router

Discussion in 'Networking' started by jim50, Feb 24, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jim50

jim50 Thread Starter

since i changed to this new router smc8014wn from Rogers my locations has changed from Toronto to Ottawa
    when in fact i am in Toronto i phoned Rogers but they were unable to help

2. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
    It is possible that your new modem is connecting to a different network gateway that is identified as being in Ottowa. Is this change causing any kind of problem with websites not loading or loading differently?

3. jim50

jim50 Thread Starter

Hello i am able to surf the net but my ipod touch and my Blackberry playbook which both operate on WiFi have the same problem and go to the other address for example Google Maps, Realtor ca. or any map related app. but if i go down the street and use a free WiFi location it works fine so this leads me to believe it is the router but try telling that to Rogers

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    It's not your router. It's whatever service is being used to locate your IP address. The address you used for the above two posts comes up as Toronto by whatever service this site uses and by ip2location. Did you post from home or somewhere else?

5. jim50

jim50 Thread Starter

Thanks for responding to my query the answer to your question of where i posted from was my home in Toronto Ontario not Ottawa Ontario Canada but if i go down the street and use free WiFi it works okay the service provider is Rogers but they don't believe me

6. prunejuice

prunejuice

Is this Rogers own modem/router or one you bought yourself?

7. jim50

jim50 Thread Starter

Rogers owns the modem/router

8. prunejuice

prunejuice

Are you the account holder?

Did you ask them to reset the modem?

9. jim50

jim50 Thread Starter

yes i am the account holder
    Rogers told me to unplug the router for 10 seconds and plug it back in and they said they would reset it from there end but i don't trust them because if i was still able to surf the net then it was my problem

10. prunejuice

prunejuice

You don't trust them with what?

This is making very little sense.

I know Rogers can be frustrating (I am a customer) but their Technical Support will walk you through a reset and then have you login to your modem and apply any settings you want.

11. jim50

jim50 Thread Starter

Well they told me they were resetting at Rogers
    But i have been reading about this and the only way to reset this is with a paper clip in the reset hole and you have to put in a password and username Like you said they will walk me through it but they didn't
    And now i am finding that it is working off and on. Boy this is frustrating!

12. prunejuice

prunejuice

No. Rogers can push a reset through from their end.

You can ask them to help you walk through it. They will.
    What tests did they ask you to run on your end?

13. jim50

jim50 Thread Starter

Rogers asked me if i could surf the net. That was only test they asked me to do

14. prunejuice

prunejuice

15. jim50

jim50 Thread Starter

The server is in Toronto

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1090824

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice