1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Smell

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by micio, Feb 18, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. micio

micio Thread Starter

I am not sure if this is the right place to ask this question so please bear with me. My computer has started to smell... It starts after an hour or so and seems to me that the fan is blowing it out. The strange thing is that when I took the cover off there is so sign of anything wrong and nothin inside the stack has a smell at all. lt was a little dusty that was all and I blew that out. Any ideas as to what could be causing it - if it is something that will cost a lot to replace/repair I will have to try and replace it later on.

Any help will be appreciated - micio

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Have you checked the fan in the power supply to make sure its still spinning, it's in the top back of the case either at the back of the power supply or on the inside bottom of it.

Are all the other fans spinning? Can you post the specs of your computer?

Waiting too long may go from replacing one part for a small fee to buying a whole new computer because something went through a massive failure such as the power supply and fried the rest of the parts on its way out.

3. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

What does it smell like ie burning wire, chemical smell, burning rubber, what?

Next it would really help if you posted your exact system specs; ie exact mb installed, exact pw supply installed, etc, etc. If this is a big box system ie dell, hp, whatever, then post the exact make and model #

Have you checked your temps and voltages? If not, then do so. This info is available in the bios for most systems OR you can install monitoring software.

4. micio

micio Thread Starter

Thank you for the prompt replies - Yes I have checked the fans and they are both working well. There is no smell of burning in fact when I took the protective cover off there was no smell coming from the fans. The smell is what I would call chemical but my wife insists it smells 'fishy'.

I hope I have attached the specification screenshot - I can see it in the Attach Files window but not on here!

Thanks micio

Attached Files:

5. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    What protective cover are you referring too? Have you check the PSU fan and all other sto verify they are spinning properly?

What the model number of your HP?

6. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

If it is an ammonia type smell, you might have some leaking capacitors.

With the system OFF, open the case and give the board a VERY close inspection with a bright light. Look for any capacitors that look like the pics below.

Attached Files:

7. micio

micio Thread Starter

Many thanks to you all for the advice - I checked the ventilators/fans again and still found some fluff/dust deposited on the blades and spindle so I gave another clean and this did the trick! However my wife is not on speaking terms at present as I stupidly said she blew dust everywhere when she gave a deep clean to the room and that probably did it. I hope she does't read this post.......

thanks again.....Micio

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!