1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Smells like burning!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by c0rruptioN, Sep 25, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. c0rruptioN

c0rruptioN Thread Starter

ok so when i turn on my pc, i can smell the distinct scent of plastic burning or being very hot, my pc didn't do this until today and when i check the core temp it's around 34C, but when i open something up like a game then i can smell it again and the core temp jumps obvoiously. call me paranoid but i never remember loading something and smelling something that was burning.

paranoid or is they something wrong?

2. Darkicon

Darkicon

You might be frying your hardware in your computer. Check to see if you have sufficient cooling in your computer, and check if your CPU's heatsink is installed properly or if it's faulty.

3. acameron

acameron

If you smell something burning I would not continue to run the machine.... Your asking for disaster. :eek:

probably the power supply.... Can you open the case and try to determine where the smell is originating from???

4. c0rruptioN

well it only happens when i'm loading something big(a game) then it goes away after it's loaded so it would be hard to trace where it's from, it's been running fine since i got it 3 weeks ago but later it been doing some weird things, like when i turn on the pc it also makes a horrible screeching sound when loading everything.

5. acameron

acameron

Is the computer new?? If you just bought it 3 weeks ago you should take it back and have them check it out and fix any issues. The burning smell is bad enough but there shouldn't be a screeching noise when you start it up.

6. c0rruptioN

yeah, it's custom built, of course i took the liberty of building it myself so i could have made some errors, but i have and IT guy that always helps me and i've contacted him to, his the one that booted XP and etc.

7. c0rruptioN

ok, it was the PSU which fried on me but i got a warranty for it so i'm covered and will have a "new" one in about 30minutes.

SOLVED!

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/753310

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice