1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: SMTP Virtual server wont start

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by achanda, Jul 21, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. achanda

achanda Thread Starter

Hi

We have IIS installed for SMTP email service on our windows server 2008 R2 SP1. I am unable to start the [SMTP Virtual Server #1], i get an error message

"The service has returned a service specific error code. Check the Windows Event Viewer for details"

When i checked the Event Viewer logs and i found the below error

"The service could not bind instance 1. The data is the error code."

When i googled about this error i found that the port 25 is being used by another application which is why my SMTP Virtaul server #1 doesn't start.

I did Telnet localhost 25 and i see the port is being used by hotmail. The below message when i did telnet

220 BLU436-SMTP198.smtp.hotmail.com Microsoft ESMTP MAIL Service, Version: 8.0.9
    200.16384 ready at Tue, 21 Jul 2015 07:07:01 -0700

How do i disbale the smtp.hotmail to use the port 25 so that my SMTP Virtual server #1 can use port 25. Please help.

Thanks
    Arun Chanda

2. achanda

achanda Thread Starter

Hi

I figured out that SMTP Proxy service was using port 25 which was not allowing my SMTP Virtual Server #1 to start. I stopped the SMTP Proxy from services and my SMTP Virtaul server#1 in my IIS started working.

Excuted the command netstat --noa in commane line tool to check the PID of the application that is using the port 25.

From the TaskManager/ Services Tab i was able to figure out the application using the PID Coulmn. Stopping the SMTP Proxy i was able to turn on the SMTP in my IIS Server.

Thanks
    Arun

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!