1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: smtp with different outgoing and incoming server

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by ozziebeanie, Jan 21, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ozziebeanie

ozziebeanie Thread Starter

First Name:
    Serena
    Hi all

Emailing with authentication of smtp – I as usual around every month or so, email friends and family with an update, and I got the message (below) not the first time since changing to TPG, but I have an email provided to me by a friend that has a business, so my incoming and outgoing server are different.

Your message did not ! reach some or all of the intended recipients.
    Subject: From me - Serena
    Sent: 20/01/2013 2:50 PM
    The following recipient(s) cannot be reached:
    *************on 20/01/2013 2:50 PM
    452 4.5.3 [TPG-R01] Too many recipients. Use SMTP AUTH

(There where quite a number of recipients)

I wrote to my provider (tpg) and got the (below) response
    (At home I use Outlook 2007, all I could find on line is how to set it up, if both incoming and outgoing server where the same)

My outgoing server is tpg but my incoming is clickatec, i told them this info.

Dear Customer,

Thank you for your email.
    I apologise for the inconvenience this has caused you. Please be advised of the following limits for sending email:

If you enabled SMTP authentication:
    - using TPG connection, 300 recipients per email message
    - using non-TPG connection, 20 recipients per email message

If SMTP authentication is not enabled:
    - 50 recipients per email message.

This was recently implemented so as to avoid our mail servers being blacklisted.

For Outlook Express:

1. Open Outlook Express. Click Tools. Click Accounts.
    2. Go to the Mail tab, highlight your email profile. Click Properties.
    3. Go to the Servers tab. Under Outgoing Mail Server, tick My outgoing server requires authentication.
    4. Click Settings. Tick Logon using. Type your TPG username and password
    on their respective boxes.
    5. Click OK. Click Apply. Click OK.
    If you are using a different e-mail client (e.g. MS Outlook, Thunderbird, Eudora, Incredimail, etc..) kindly refer to the software manufacturer support center on how to enable the authentication.

Kindly inform us if we could be of further assistance.

Regards,

(Is it possible to have authentication with different incoming and outgoing servers?)

Home email is a bit different from exchange email at work that I fix all the time, this is embarrassing):eek:

2. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    Its possible to use a different SMTP server than your incoming server. Why are you not using the SMTP from clickatec?

3. ozziebeanie

First Name:
    Serena
    Hi Couriant - (James)

Thanks for posting

Clickatec is an email given to me by a friend that owns that business, he is not my provider, TPG is my provider but I don’t use the email that is given to you when I sign up.

Because I have had a few contact positions and taken short term wireless contracts to keep in touch while I have been (sometimes) a long way away, (with work) I had several email changes and my friend was sick of updating his address book every time, so he gave me an email from his business to use all the time so I would not have to change.

But right now I am permanent at my job, so I won’t be taking on short term providers for a while but I have kept the email going, and wish to keep it.

4. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    Unless the Clicketec is using port 25 for SMTP, then you are not bound to use TPGs outgoing server, unless TPG is blocking all SMTP traffic other than their own.... which would not be good business for them. :) Check with your friend what the outgoing server is. Generally it's the same as the incoming server, but you will need to use authentication and port 587 with SSL or TLS.

As to port 25 (a little tidbit here), most if not all big internet providers will block port 25 on residential customers due to spam issues. In the past any servers using port 25 was a free outgoing server with no authenication/security so anyone can use them... unfortunately spam was abundant and would slow down providers so that's why they axed the 25 connection to residents. Businesses would not be affected because the ISPs don't want to interrupt them.

5. ozziebeanie

First Name:
    Serena
    Thanks Couriant (James) appreciate time taken to enlighten me, i will contact my mate at clickatec and ask him, i will close this now, i love to learn these things

6. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    No problem. :) You may be forced to use TPGs outgoing server, hence the limitations.

Actually, is TGP your internet provider as well as your email provider?

7. ozziebeanie

First Name:
    Serena
    TPG is my internet provider, but I do not use the email linked with that account, I use the email clickatec has given me. My mobile is Telstra and I have a few gigs of data on that phone plan which I mostly use to send pictures to my clickatec email, or my work email.

I was using wireless, where I have moved to, the reception is crap and wireless internet uses the same system as mobile phones.

We have learnt which place to go to at home, so the phone does not cut out, we call them hot spots, considering we are in a city or outskirts of one I am amazed the reception is so bad, hence the move to ADSL for the internet, TPG was offering the best deal at the time.

When it comes to mobile phones in Australia Telstra still offers the best coverage but other companies are starting to get more dishes out there and getting more coverage but for now Telstra has the monopoly.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!