1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: So I accidently bought an ATA-100 IDE hdd.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Harvest, Apr 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Harvest

Harvest Thread Starter

Wow, why do they even still sell these? 500gb Seagate ATA-100 IDE HDD.

Wow, just wow. This is my first build and it was on sale and not knowing much about computers I bought it. I wanted 500gb, and I saw it was on sale. Now I see that It only has a 100mb transfer rate! While Sata has 150 and Sata 2 having 300mbs!

My question is, if I'm playing games like...Crysis...will the HDD have an affect on games? Or just on copying files?

Thank you. I don't think there is any way I can exchange as I bought it February 10th and have STILL not got the PC working (faulty mobo, sound card, mobo again!!!, graphics card step up and now finally when I install windows I get stuck at "verifying DMI Pool Data and I have no idea what to do"

2. Compiler

Compiler

The performance difference betwee the PATA and SATA drives is minimal. The interface has a MAX speed at those rates. But both drives use the same parts.

The problem here is that motherboards only have a SINGlE PATA connector, and so you're HD will have to be Master and your optical a SLAVE. Your system will suffer some performance issues depending on your chipset. If its an intel setup, it maybe more problematic as the PATA interface is remaining for optical drives as they are only recently in mass-production with SATA. With Intel boards, the PATA in not included as standard - but an add-on chip (another reason that intel boards are more expensive).

You sure are having a lot of problems... some brands are worse than others, but even the TOP brand of ASUS has problems. Sorry to hear that.

3. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

I agree you will see no difference in performance however you will probably have a problem with the single ide connector on almost all new boards.

FWIW I benched an ide drive against a sata drive when sata first came out. The drives had almost identical performance with the ide drive just slightly faster. I lost the screenshot I made of this benchmark during one of the many formats/installs. The only one I have left is a sata1 v sata2 drive benchmark.

4. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

BTW you could get an ide controller card for the drive. If you do this, you would not have the problem of using the single ide for optical AND hd.

5. Arcadion

Arcadion

I've run into numerous problems with Seagate's SATA drives, their IDE ones are more reliable.

6. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

What problems? I am running a few seagate sata drives here; no problems at all.

7. Harvest

Harvest Thread Starter

Thank guys! It really means a lot to me now I wont have to worry as much about my choice.

I have a BFG Nforce 680i LT SLI motherboard. I have an Intel quad core too.

I'm not sure what you mean by trouble with the single ide thing. I only have one HDD and my dvd drive is Sata.

Thank you.

8. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Then you should not have a problem.

9. Harvest

Harvest Thread Starter

Ok, thanks!

(y):);)

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!