1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Socket 1156 i5 or i7?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by doctorzeus, Dec 26, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. doctorzeus

doctorzeus Thread Starter

Hi I'm planning on getting a new processor for 1156 socket,

Now I've heard that the best Intel I7 series is higher performance but the I5 seems to have verions that have more GHZ than the I7 (I believe the max the I7 goes to is 2.93 without overclocking and the I5 goes to 3.6).

Now keeping in mind that this is a gaming PC which would be the best way to go in terms of performence, I'm planning to upgrade to the 1366 socket in bout 2 years or so...but I'm planning to overclock when I need to but I havn't found any games that need more then 2.93 GHZ on a quad core.

Any suggestions/opinions would be great...

(Yes I am a noob when it comes to Hardware)

Thanks

Doctorzeus

2. doctorzeus

Hello? Someone must know this...

3. win2kpro

win2kpro

The 1st thing you need to do is to check the supported processor list for the motherboard you are using to see which processors are supported by that board.

4. doctorzeus

Thanks for the reply

It supports all the LGA1156 i5 and i7 processors, it's a ASUS Maximus III Forumula Motherboard..

All I was asking was which series would be the best way to go for gaming e.g. is a 3.6GHZ I5 as good as a 2.96GHZ I7?

I was planning on getting the I7 870 but I was just wondering if this was the best way to go...

5. doctorzeus

I just found out that it does need bios 0405 or later, that sounds like a pretty low bios version but how do I know my motherboard came with this version or later?

6. Irukku

Irukku

It all depends on how much cash you want to spend on your processor. You've got an awesome motherboard, so you can go for the i5 760, for example, and overclock it so you get to the i7's performance (saving cash), or just get one of the top i7's and let it run cool. Nowadays you can't compare processors accurately just by their frequency in GHz. i5's and i7's have different architectures and the only way to find out which of the processors you've compared is best, you gotta provide us with model names or search the internet for benchmarks on both of them... :)

EDIT: As for your BIOS version concern, it's easy and *almost* harmless to perform BIOS updates nowadays. You should do it anyway.

7. doctorzeus

Only Problem is that I don't have a CPU yet :( therefore I havn't booted up to find out what bios version I've got! Which of course means if I buy the CPU it might not run if the MB has a bios < 0405. I have heard that then you have to get into unsoldering the bios chips and stuff if you want to upgrade your bios without a CPU. Thanks for the advice about the processors, if I'm prepared to spend the cash wouldn't you say that I should get the I7-870 (apparently it overclocks to 4GHZ)? That then prob means I won't have to upgrade the CPU for a while, will probubly go that route...thanks :)

My biggest concern is the bios...Heres what I got off the ASUS website(Note that the i7-870 needs bios 0405 which sounds pretty old to me as the versions go upto 1901, may be wrong):

http://support.asus.com/cpusupport/cpusupport.aspx?SLanguage=en-us

(Select Motherboard then LGA1156 then Maximus 3 forumla, sure you know but just in case)

Thanks

Doctorzeus

8. Irukku

Irukku

Hmm, I understand it now. You can check the revision printed on your motherboard (http://support.asus.com/technicaldocuments/technicaldocuments.aspx?no=270&SLanguage=en-us) and Google it to find out what's your BIOS version, or post it here so we can do it. However, as you said, 0405 seems to be the very first BIOS version released (0907 was released dec. 2007), so if you bought your board recently there's a 95% chance an i7 870 will work. :)

9. doctorzeus

It seems to say 1026(1.026) so that looks good!

Thanks for the re-assurence there! :)

Doctorzeus

10. Irukku

Irukku

You're welcome. :)

11. doctorzeus

Yay!

I just discovered I can actually flash the bios using the ROG connect feature on the motherboard from my laptop, which means it now has the latest bios :)

Doctorzeus

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/970811

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice