1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Socket 775 help

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by daryl1989, Sep 29, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. daryl1989

daryl1989 Thread Starter

ive got an asus p5s800-vm with a intel celeron and ive ordered a p4 520 but the heat sink is different to the one already installed.

i was wandering what i have to do because the asus support said this processor was compatible. if you know the p4 heatsink then you'll know im looking for four holes in the mobo to clip the heatsink in. could these be under the old heatsink base or am i chasing a lost cause

any help is much appreciated

2. daryl1989

daryl1989 Thread Starter

ive recently ordered a new cpu, so i got my motherboard ready by taking out the old heatsink. the old heatsink was mounted on a stand that was screwed to the motherboard from the underside. once that was done it revealed four holes like any other motherboard but these four holes look tiny in comparison to any other motherboard i seen in pictures.

i was wandering how big the intel p4 heatsink mounting pins are because these holes were occupied by four small screws...

any help much appreciated

3. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

What cpu did you remove?

4. ~Candy~

5. ~Candy~

With that added info, I didn't think you could replace a Celeron with a P4 chip :confused:

6. daryl1989

daryl1989 Thread Starter

:eek: please tell me your joking. i went to the asus support website and it told me every processor that was compatible with my mobo.

its a celeron d 2.93 socket 775

7. ~Candy~

Well, if they told you that, then, I guess it must be. I wouldn't have thought.

http://www.xpcgear.com/p5s800vm.html

I guess that is the board? Hopefully you didn't spend too much money on the cpu since it's obviously older technology.

That picture shows the 4 larger holes though.

You might need a bios update, not sure on that.

8. win2kpro

win2kpro

According to the Asus site the P4 520 is compatible with your board.

http://support.asus.com/cpusupport/cpusupport.aspx?SLanguage=en-us&model=P5S800-VM

Is this board in a "mass produced machine such as HP/Compaq, Dell, Gateway, etc. or is it a custom built machine?

The standard socket 775 cooler should not be installing the way you describe. The standard cooler just has 4 push pins that push through the board to connect the cooler.

9. frankjohn

frankjohn

Coolmaster makes one that has a plate that is mounted from the under side, comes with 4 long screws. I thought this was used only if orignal holes got to large for the snap ins.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/754902

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice