Solved: Socket 939 lifespan (how long will it be supported?)

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

AvvY

I am organising to build myself a new system on the back of the AMD 939 platform. I at first will not be able to afford a highend chip, but will probably upgrade in a year or so. I am just curious if anyone knows how long AMD will be making chips for this socket? Socket A never seems to die, although 754 seem to be on its way out only keeping alive with the new Sampron chips.

I know there is the new AM2 940 sockets coming out soon, but that is too expensive and too far away. I can't imagine AMD getting themselves into the same mess as Intel supporting heaps of different socket versions. But I hate the idea of loosing out on being able to upgrade later on. Sure, nothing is future proof, but I'd like to build an affordable system which is upgradable later on and therefore somewhat future proof.

My main contention is that I only bought my current system 15months ago and I am already upgrading - albeit when I bought it, it wasn't amazing and my needs have changed, it's only a 754 Athlon64 3000+.

Thanx guys

its hard to say, if they make a serious break throught in chip making they may drop manufacture of older chips very quick

AvvY

Yeah, one thing I remember reading some time ago, in early AMD roadmaps, was the the 939 socket was going to stay forever and be the base for all future procs... Ok fair enough that that's not the case, but when you think socket A has been around ages and is still on the market, and a lot of 939socket chips are made in 754socket variants, it all seems alive and kicking. Sure they are changing the tech, I just figured because 939 is the latest it will last a while and become the budget line for AMD while it works on the new AM2 940 chips?

My only hope is that 939 is supported for around 18months so that by then I can afford to get a fast dualcore proc.

I figure AMD will continue to make 939 chips for awhile, but I also figure when the M2 socket arrives 939 developement will all but stop.

AMD surprised me by releasing the 754 version venice 3000+ so you never know what they might do. :confused:

Triple6

Rob
Retired Moderator
Considering you can still buy Socket A processors and motherboards, and the Socket 754 are selling strong I don't think there would be any issue with buying a Socket 939 board today or in the near future. There's still quite a few high performance chips planned for 939 and those that are currently out will only drop in price. I strongly suspect 939 processors to be readily available for at least a year and half after the M2's release.

Of course who really knows. I have a 940 based processor and we all know how long that pin configuration lasted. :(

Triple6

Rob
Retired Moderator
Yes, but 939 is extremely popular. If production were to stop today there would still be hundreds of thousands of processors available for sale for current stock. And the 940 hasn't disappeared, plus their primary use is Server and High-end desktop use, the selection for these is never in the same arena as desktop consumer processors.

in reading the latest, the new socketM2 is going to replace tne 939. the socket will use DDR2 memory @ 667MGs the say coming out in AUG.2006.Got info from maxium pc mag

Rukee

Banned
people will still be buying PCI video cards by then, mark my words!
s939 will be safe for more then a few years.

I believe in what you are saying Rukee, just thought might be of intrest to our readers. HAPPY NEW YEAR TO ALL

AvvY said:
I am organising to build myself a new system on the back of the AMD 939 platform. I at first will not be able to afford a highend chip, but will probably upgrade in a year or so. I am just curious if anyone knows how long AMD will be making chips for this socket? Socket A never seems to die, although 754 seem to be on its way out only keeping alive with the new Sampron chips.

I know there is the new AM2 940 sockets coming out soon, but that is too expensive and too far away. I can't imagine AMD getting themselves into the same mess as Intel supporting heaps of different socket versions. But I hate the idea of loosing out on being able to upgrade later on. Sure, nothing is future proof, but I'd like to build an affordable system which is upgradable later on and therefore somewhat future proof.

My main contention is that I only bought my current system 15months ago and I am already upgrading - albeit when I bought it, it wasn't amazing and my needs have changed, it's only a 754 Athlon64 3000+.Thanx guys
I cant imagine why youre upgrading, even current games shouldnt be a problem on that system if you have a good gfx card, I'm not a gamer and my socket A still does everything I can throw at it, my sons have socket A's also with 6800GT and a gig of ram and those sytems still play games very well. It is as you say no use worrying about the future of 939 boards because you wouldnt be able to afford M2 when it comes out anyway so where else do you go? there really is no other game in town as it where. Youre buying a low speed 939 cpu to begin with so you should have plenty of room for a speed upgrade or go to a x2 cpu down the road. Stop worrying i guess is the bottom line if youre a avid gamer a upgrade every 15 months is probably not that unusual, maybe not a mob/cpu one but you happened to jump on the 754s even though there was a lot of buzz that that platform was just a stop gap measure between the venerable socket A and the 939's, I dont think that the 939 can be considered a stop gap for anything at this point.

Another little nasty thing that happened is the pricing on the Barton core cpu, i mean holy crap over $200 for a 3000+, geeezzz, I bought mine for $70 its almost like AMD is trying to kill socket A's, the boards are cheap but they are trying to force you into a Sempron, which are just not as good as the Bartons, I mean gamers arent going to buy a Sempron sockA so what are they doing? I could just be supply and demand but man it sure sounds like gouging, if your sockA cpu dies its almost cheaper just to upgrade to a 939 pin mob and cpu and carry youre ram over to the new board.

Rukee

Banned
socket a is no longer in production, so price is set by supply and demand. As long as people keep buying them and the supply get`s tighter and tighter, the prices on a few of them will prolly go up even more.

SirKenin

Banned
s939 is already obsolete. If you are looking to future proof your purchase, don't bother. AMD changes socket types every six months now. You will probably be able to buy an s939 chip a year down the road, but it won't be anything special. It is extremely dubious that AMD will even be developing for s939 at that point. You will probably be buying old stock. They are already working on their next socket which is due out any time, if that gives you any idea. If you are looking for future proofing, AMD is not the way to go.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online