1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Socket Error: 10065, Error Number: 0x800CCC0E

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by tasng4, Aug 7, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tasng4

tasng4 Thread Starter

Sorry but I had to re-post this problem as the title was incorrect.

Socket error 10065 from Outlook Express
    Hi, for the last few days we have been receiving "The connection to the server has failed. Account: 'Joint French', Server: 'pop.orange.fr', Protocol: POP3, Port: 110, Secure(SSL): No, Socket Error: 10065, Error Number: 0x800CCC0E" from Outlook Express.

I have :
    - run a full Norton system scan - no viruses found
    - run a disc cleanup via Start programs, accessories, system tools, disc cleanup
    - run a Norton registry cleanup - same problem
    - tried uninstalling Outlook and then found a posting that says you cant physically uninstall and reinstall outlook

Google chrome is working ok and I can get to the messages via Chrome but am having no luck getting outlook to send and receive mail.

Internet search implies it may be a broekn registry entry but is there a recommended registry cleanup took and/or can you suggest anything else I can try?

Much appreciated

2. tasng4

tasng4 Thread Starter

Just for completeness - I found the cause of the error was nothing to do with ports. We use an application called Peerblock which prevent our PC sending information to third parties (telecoms companies, educations institutions, etc.) This uses lists from www.iblocklist.com and one list in particular (the bogon list) would seem to contain an IP address which conflicts with a combination of Orange.fr and Outlook express requirements and so prevents Outlook working.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1064138

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice